Zimbra Suite Plus/License Management
Zimbra Suite Plus - License Management
Zimbra Suite Plus - License Management
How Zimbra Suite Plus Licensing works
Why does the licensing work this way?
The licensing system has been carefully designed to be fair with both small and large companies, and licensing our modules by user account would have meant a rise in the price which would have been troublesome for most of our customers.
The use of this kind of licensing also allows us to be more flexible on quantities and support.
The Zimbra Suite Plus Bundle option includes all the Zimbra Suite Plus modules at a discounted price. Furthermore, all modules are available separately for purchase and can be combined into a single license.
Zimbra Suite Plus requires a License to in Trial Mode. All the available modules will be activated for a 30-day period, with some limitations. You can obtain your Trial License by filling this form .
Namely, those limitations are:
- Zimbra Backup Plus: When running in Trial Mode, you will not be able to import data exported more than 30 days from the current date.
- Zimbra Mobile Plus: No limitations
- Zimbra HSM Plus: No limitations
- Zimbra Admin Plus: No limitations
The Zimbra Backup Plus limitation is affected by the timestamp of the export, NOT by the timestamp of the items thereby contained. You will be able to import all items regardless of their date as long as those have been exported less than 30 days ago.
In order to avoid service outages in emergency situations, such as an urgent Restore On New Account or a last-minute new account, a 5% "Grace Limit" has been included in Zimbra Suite Plus.
This means that upon reaching the maximum number of mailboxes allowed by your license you will still be able to use all licensed modules but said modules will be disabled when the allowed number of mailboxes is exceeded by 5% (max. 20 additional accounts).
The "Grace Limit" is not meant to be considered as a freebie, but as a "safety net" for emergency situations. Abusing this feature will result in postponing a problem, not in resolving it.
How to obtain a License
To obtain a license the following steps are required:
- Fill the next Buy Zimbra Suite Plus Form
- Enter the number of mailboxes on your server. If your Company is a Gov agency, an Educational/Research institute or a Non-Profit Organization be sure to you select the correct option on the drop-down option.
- Add the comments you might have on the comments textarea
- Click the "Get a quote" button to proceed.
A Sales representative will get back to you shortly
How to activate a License
To activate a license, download from the Zimbra Suite Plus Trial or Buy email the license.zx file.
- Log into the Administration Console in Zimbra with an admin account.
- In the Left Pane of the Administration Console select Core (under the Zimbra Suite Plus category) to show up the Zimbra Suite Plus Core tab.
- Click the "Browse" button in the Upload License section and select the license.zx file you downloaded.
- Click "Save".
- If the license file is valid your License Status should change to "Valid" and your License Type to "Purchased". All the other data should change accordingly.
If you are experiencing difficulties in uploading your license, you can try to do it using the Zimbra suite Plus CLI. Simply upload your license file to the /tmp/ folder of your Zimbra server and run the following as the 'zimbra' user:
zxsuite core doUploadLicense /tmp/license.zx
If the "Customer" field does not display your name, please contact email@example.com, providing your Zimbra account and/or your Reseller's name
License Warning recipient
Since it's highly probable that the person in charge of license management is not the same as the one in charge of the server's actual management (and vice versa), Zimbra Suite Plus allows the admin to specify one or more additional email addresses which will only receive license-related notifications and warnings.
In order to do this, enter the desired addresses as a comma-separated list in the "Additional License Warning Emails" field in the Notifications section of the Core tab in the Zimbra Suite Plus Administration Zimlet.
Special licenses: BIDs, Not for Resale and Extended Trials
In some specific cases, the Zimbra Sales Team might create a special license that is not obtained through the standard purchasing method. Such cases include:
- Special BIDs - for licenses over 5000 mailboxes
- Not for Resales - licenses granted to partners for internal or testing use
- Extended Trials - additional free time to further evaluate our products
Module Activation and Initialization
Once your Zimbra Suite Plus License is Activated (See below for the activation details), all acquired modules are automatically activated.
Each module, however, might require a dedicated initialization in order to be fully functional:
Zimbra Backup Plus Initialization
To properly function, Zimbra Backup Plus needs a dedicated directory on a filesystem to save all it's configurations and all the backupped data.
The default path for this directory is /opt/zimbra/backup/zextras/.
The inizialization process automatically creates the folder structure and the configuration files needed.
Zimbra Mobile Plus Initialization
No initialization needed, by default Zimbra Mobile Plus is active and its features are available to all of your users out-of-the-box.
Zimbra HSM Plus Initialization
A default HSM Policy is configured in Zimbra. This policy will move all emails and documents older than 30 days to the Current Secondary Store.
However, there is no Current Secondary Store created by default in Zimbra. This means that in order to start using the Zimbra HSM Plus module you will at least need to:
- Create a new Volume, which will be your Current Secondary Store.
- Enable the Policy Application Scheduling.
Zimbra Admin Plus Initialization
No initialization needed.
License Reconciliation and Expiration
During installation, upgrades, and periodically while in use, your server will send ZSP license information to be used for reconciliation of billing and license data. See the EULA section1 11.4 and 11.6 for legal information.
When your Zimbra Suite Plus License expires, whether a trial or purchased, all Zimbra Suite Plus modules will stop working until a valid license is uploaded.
The Zimbra Suite Plus Buy and Try Page
Please visit the main Zimbra Suite Plus page, and click on Buy or Try, if you need to try or buy the product
Upgrade a License
To upgrade a license please get in contact with your Sales Representative or Partner in order to obtain an Upgrade for the License.
How to remove a License
To remove a license and revert back to trial mode, just remove the /opt/zimbra/conf/zextras/[license_name].zx file while all the Zimbra services are down. Mind that if you revert back to trial mode, the trial timer will not be restarted (so if you installed Zimbra Suite Plus more than 30 days before the license removal your backup system will be shut of because of the trial expriation).
Zimbra Suite Plus
Latest Version: 3.1.4
- Released on: July 14, 2020
- Compatibility List
- License Management
Zimbra Suite Plus Resources
Here you can find useful resources for your Zimbra Suite Plus environment
- What is Zimbra Suite?
- Zimbra Suite Installation Guide
- Zimbra Client Zimlet
- Information and advice for NE Customers
- How to migrate Zimbra with Zimbra Migration Tool
- How to perform an incremental Migration with Zimbra Backup Plus
- Known Issues
- How to report a Zimbra Suite Plus Issue