Zimbra NG Modules/Zimbra NG Backup/Admin Guide
Zimbra NG Backup - Admin Guide
Zimbra NG Backup - Admin Guide
To enable and use the Zimbra NG Backup Module you'll need:
- An active Zimbra NG Modules License with Zimbra NG Backup Module enabled.
- The Zimbra NG Modules and the Zimbra NG Modules Admin Zimlet installed on a supported version of Zimbra.
- Full user rights on the machine:
- Admin access to Zimbra (usually https://myserver.mydomain.tld:7071/).
- Root access to the Operating System.
For informations about the First Run of Zimbra NG Backup, please read the Zimbra NG Backup Initialization page.
The Zimbra NG Backup Module MUST be initialized to work properly. No initialization means no Real Time Scanner, no Scan Scheduling and no import functions. All operations will be ignored.
If you need help on getting the module up and running, check the Zimbra NG Backup FAQs or the Zimbra NG Backup Troubleshooting.
Also, remember to join the community in the Forums!
A brief introduction to the Zimbra NG Backup module's UI
- The Zimbra NG Backup section of the Zimbra NG Modules Administration Zimlet, explained.
- Dedicated Zimbra NG Backup info for infrastructure running multiple zimbra-store (mailboxd) servers.
Zimbra NG Modules CLI Guide
- List of all commands in the Zimbra NG Modules CLI
Incremental Migration using Zimbra NG Backup
- Step-by-step guide on running an Incremental Migration, with no downtime and minimum effort.
Operation queue and queue management
- All you need to know about the Zimbra NG Backup Operation Queue.
Zimbra NG Backup on Zimbra Network Edition
- Tips on how to use Zimbra NG Backup on Zimbra Network Edition.
Live Smart Scan
- Quick and smart coherency check.
- Remove old deleted items from the backup path.
Manage the RealTime Scanner
- Informations about the main Zimbra NG Backup engine: the Real Time Scanner.
- Save a snapshot of your current data on any location.
COS-level Backup Management
- Manage your backup per-COS.
Restore on New Account
- Restore the status and data fora mailbox as it was in a moment in time without affecting the original account.
- Restore any item deleted from a mailbox in a period of time.
- Restore your data from an External Backup or from a valid Zimbra NG Backup Path.
Restore Deleted Account
- Restore a deleted account.
- Restore a single Item in a mailbox (CLI only).
- Handy guide for when your Zimbra server goes boom.
- Learn about unrestorable items and how to deal with them.
When starting an import or a restore with Zimbra NG Backup the "Apply HSM Policy" option is available.
Enabling this option will force Zimbra NG HSM to apply the HSM policy for each mailbox Zimbra NG Backup is done restoring, so while the restore itself will be completely done on the primary store, as soon as a mailbox is completely restored the proper data will be moved to the secondary store.
Backup Path maintenance
The "doCoherencyCheck" command
- When a SmartScan is not enough, the "doCoherencyCheck" operation kicks in.
Tips 'n Tricks
Moving a mailbox between two mailboxd servers
- "Unofficial" guide on how to move a mailbox between two mailbox servers. Use it wisely.
ADVANCED Taking Additional/Offsite backups of Zimbra NG Backup's Datastore]]
- DOs and DONTs for those who want to remotely store a copy of their Zimbra NG Backup Datastore.
After the Restore: Message Deduplication
- Save precious disk space after a migration or restore. Easy and smooth.
Zimbra NG Modules Migration Tool
Export data with Zimbra NG Modules Migration Tool
- Step-by-step guide on how to export your data with the Zimbra NG Modules Migration Tool.
Import Zimbra NG Modules Migration Tool data with Zimbra NG Backup
- Step-by-step guide on how to import your data with Zimbra NG Backup.
- Zimbra official guidelines for Filesystem Performance Tuning apply to Zimbra NG Backup too: Zimbra Performance Guidelines Filesystem
- We strongly advice against the use of network shares (or any high access latency solution) as the main Zimbra NG Backup store.
- Need to validate your backup? Check out the Backup Validation Guide
- While accounts are immediatly available for use when an import operation is running, configuring on Zimbra Desktop an account which is still being imported will greatly slow down the restore operation. Please only configure Zimbra Desktop after the import operation is completed.
- Due to an issue in Zimbra's date selector, all dates displayed in the restore wizards when logging into the Zimbra Administration Console with an account using the en_GB locale will be nonsensical. Please set the user's locale to en_EN to solve this issue.
- When the "Empty Trash" or "Empty Folder" are used, the account will be flagged as "Dirty" and a Live Full Scan on the account will be triggered at the first restore. This is to prevent data loss due to the implementations of such functions in Zimbra Open Source Edition.
- Emails downloaded via POP3 protocol and deleted from the server during a restore will not be backupped. This problem will be fixed soon.
- GalSync resource accounts and settings are not being restored. If a complete domain is imported, GalSync must be reconfigured and a sync must be forced with the command
`zmgsautil forceSync -a email@example.com -n InternalGAL`
Zimbra NG Modules
Latest Version: 8.8
- Released on: 12/12/2017
- Compatibility List
- License Management
Zimbra NG Modules Resources
Here you can find useful resources for your Zimbra NG Modules
- What are the Zimbra NG Modules?
- Zimbra NG Modules Installation Guide
- Zimbra Client Zimlet
- How to migrate Zimbra with Zimbra Migration Tool
- How to perform an incremental Migration with Zimbra NG Modules
- Known Issues