Outlook 2016 For Mac And EWS Setup
- 1 Outlook 2016 for Mac and EWS Setup
- 2 Open Outlook 2016 for Mac for the first time
- 3 Configure Outlook 2016 for Mac with Zimbra Collaboration using EWS
- 4 Exploring the Contacts tab in Outlook 2016
- 5 Exploring the Tasks tab in Outlook 2016
- 6 Exploring the Calendar tab in Outlook 2016
- 7 Connecting a Shared Mail Folder from other user in Outlook 2016
- 8 Composing new Email in Outlook 2016
- 9 How to enable logging in Outlook for Mac
- 10 Identified Support/Known Issues
Outlook 2016 for Mac and EWS Setup
Microsoft will release Office 2016 soon, this new Office have interesting new features:
- The new apps offer full retina display.
- The look and feel is the same like Ofice 2013 for Windows, or almost the same
- Outlook 2016 supports now 100% Office 365, and only works with Exchange 2010 or above
To configure Outlook 2016 with EWS for Zimbra Collaboration need the next:
- A valid EWS license - 
- Zimbra Collaboration 8.5+
EWS Requires the Proxy service installed
Important note: EWS only works if you have the Proxy role installed and properly configured. If not, you will not be able to use the EWS feature, as Outlook try to connects for the port 443, more information in the next Bugs:
Please make sure you have Proxy installed before you try to configure your Outlook Clients in OS X
Open Outlook 2016 for Mac for the first time
First step, is open the Outlook 2016 app
Need to follow the welcome wizard
Next, press on Try it for free
Let checked the Update field, and uncheck the send feedback, you can read more about what information our computer send if you clik on the Privacy Statement link.
And, it's done!
Can import all the Outlook 2011 data, or just a .pst file, in this case, I've click on Not now.
Configure Outlook 2016 for Mac with Zimbra Collaboration using EWS
After open Outlook for the first time, it's empty.
Is time to configure the Zimbra Collaboration account. Click on Outlook > Preferences and now Click under Accounts
Click on the Exchange or Office 365 option.
If you have the DNS properly configured, just fill the E-mail address, and the Username and Password, you can also unmark the Configure automatically and introduce the IP or FQDN (after put the IP, EWS will autodiscover the FQDN, so the best thing is have the DNS properly configured and use always FQDN)
That's it, Outlook 2016 will sync everything in our account: Mail, Contacts, Calendar and Tasks.
We can see the Outlook 2016 logo and the amount of unread messages:
Exploring the Contacts tab in Outlook 2016
One of the good news is that all the Contacts, with also the image, will be syncronized between Zimbra Collaboration and the Outlook 2016 for Mac.
Exploring the Tasks tab in Outlook 2016
All the Tasks will be syncronized as well, we can create one on the Outlook 2016 or in the Web Client, and they will sync between devices.
Exploring the Calendar tab in Outlook 2016
All the Appointments will be syncronized as well, we can create one on the Outlook 2016 or in the Web Client, and they will sync between devices.
We can connect to another Users Mail folders, if the User was previous shared with us the resource.
Just click on File > Open > Other User's Folder
Write the Username that we want to Connect, in this case User
We will be able to see all the emails located in the User account, in the Inbox Folder
Composing new Email in Outlook 2016
When we compose a new email message, we can select the username from who we want to send the email.
One of the good points here is the ability to paste a Full Excel content in HTML, like this for example:
And we will receive it very well in the Web Client, this was an issue in the previous Outlook.
How to enable logging in Outlook for Mac
- Please follow the official Microsoft Steps - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2872257
Identified Support/Known Issues
Outlook 2016 crash after open it
If Outlook 2016 crash after the first open, please follow this steps:
- Open Terminal
- Type defaults delete com.microsoft.Outlook, to delete the old preferences
- killall cfprefsd (to kill the cached prefs)
- Launch Outlook
The ability to connect to a Shared Calendar doesn't work.
Sync the Signatures
The ability to Sync the Signatures between the Web Client and the Outlook 2016 doesn't work.