IM - Instant Messaging
Actual Instant Messaging Topics Homepage
Please see Ajcody-Instant-Messaging-Topics
ZCS 8.6 And Above IM Topics
Pre ZCS 8.6 IM Topics
When Will IM Be Out Of Beta - Update
Update - Zimbra will not be release the IM BETA that was intended for ZCS 8.7. Instead, they have release Zimbra Talk.
Please track the following bug:
- "Remove IM server"
- Feature Notes states, "Remove embedded IM server from delivery and web client from Zimbra interface."
- Will be removed for IronMaiden - next main release after ZCS 7
- "RFE: include separate IM server"
- Not Committed
- IM GA (no ISP/HSP)
Performance Issues Caused By IM [BETA]
Please note, that this bug has had a significant enough impact on performance of production servers that we recommend not running IM [BETA] if you have no significant reason to do so.
- "IM service connection leak,memory leak"
To turn off IM:
zmprov -l -v mcf full zimbraXMPPEnabled FALSE
And then you'll need to start and start zimbra:
zmcontrol stop zmcontrol start
Enabling IM [BETA] - 5+ ZCS Server
Check to see if it's enabled:
zmprov gacf zimbraXMPPEnabled
If it returns FALSE, you'll need to set it as TRUE:
zmprov -l -v mcf zimbraXMPPEnabled TRUE
Now to enable via the COS's for the users. I'll assume you are using the COS called "default" for your domain below - change it if your using another COS for the variables below.
Check to see what current status is:
zmprov gc default zimbraFeatureIMEnabled zmprov gc default zimbraFeatureInstantNotify
If they return FALSE, set them to TRUE.
zmprov -v mc default zimbraFeatureIMEnabled TRUE zmprov -v mc default zimbraFeatureInstantNotify TRUE
And then you'll need to stop and start zimbra:
zmcontrol stop zmcontrol start
What Happen to AOL IM and MSN?
From the 5.x Release Notes:
- Note: Update about Instant Messaging feature - In order to ensure the scalability of our server software and provide a quality experience to our customers, we have removed IM interoperability with AOL and MSN that was present in previous 5.0.0 beta releases. This functionality may be restored in a future release.
3rd Party Client Setup Up Examples
Additional information on those clients can also be found here:
Addresses things like group chat /conference rooms and so forth.
ZCS to ZCS IM Availability
Please review the following bug and note the DNS SRV entries I posted within it.
- "ZCS to ZCS IM issues."
Integration With External IM Servers
- "Integration with external IM servers (XMPP proxy support)"
IM And Legal Intercept And Archiving
- "Legal intercept support: IM"
- "Other collaboration data (IM, Docs, Calendars) need to be archived"
- "RFE: Saving IM history from external IM clients"
This might also be relevant:
- "Regulatory Compliance - code to them and achieve the ability to verify in our documentation"
IM - Conference Rooms
Please see the RFE I made:
- "IM : conference room admin settings"
Also the bug/RFE about Conference rooms in Multi-Server Configurations
- "IM Conference Rooms Don't Work in Multi-Server Setup"
Embedded IM Requests To Join Chat Session In Html/Email
Formats are (I think, still investigating this):
- ymsgr: or yim: (not sure if both work or not)
- AOL IM
- msnim: or msn: (not sure if both work or not)
You'll need to configure your OS to handle the protocol when called to, so that it launches the correct application.
- Great resource about this topic and how to adjust your OS to handle the different IM url's.
Related Bugs & RFE's
- "ZWC to handle differnt IM url's - option to set ZWC IM client or external client by OS"
- "Allow Calendar Events in ZWC to handle IM url calls"
Buddy Notification In ZWC
- "Buddy notifications support for IM presense"
Other General Bugs & RFE's
- "Renaming domain does not update zimbra.jiveRoster"
- "Unable to delete IM Buddy whos account has been renamed"
- "Ability to "restart" IM service without a full mailboxd restart required"
Multi-Mailbox Setup Can Not Message Between Each Other
If this is a new setup, make sure you have DNS setup - Ajcody-Instant-Messaging-Topics#IM_And_DNS_SRV_Records .
Check the /opt/zimbra/log/mailbox.log on the mailstores. If you see something like:
2013-03-04 07:59:40,891 INFO [pool-7-thread-1]  im - IMPersona(firstname.lastname@example.org ONLINE pri=0 st=null) - Presence.error: <presence to="email@example.com/zcs" from="yahoo.domain.com" type="error"><error code="404" type="cancel"><remote-server-not-found xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas"/></error></presence>
And you can find this type of error also there or when you run zimbra commands from the CLI:
Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Alerts.getSSLException(Alerts.java:174)
You are experiencing a certificate issue and should submit a support case if you need help resolving it.
IM And DNS SRV Records
Show ports are in use:
[root@mail3 ~]# lsof -P -n -i :5222 COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE NODE NAME java 5869 zimbra 143u IPv6 6530439 TCP *:5222 (LISTEN) [root@mail3 ~]# lsof -P -n -i :5269 COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE NODE NAME java 5869 zimbra 144u IPv6 6530440 TCP *:5269 (LISTEN) [root@mail3 ~]# lsof -P -n -i :5269
An example of what I've added to my internal DNS/BIND zone record:
$ttl 38400 zimbra.DOMAIN.com. IN SOA zimbra.DOMAIN.com. ajcody.zimbra.DOMAIN.com. ( 1207910051 10800 3600 604800 38400 ) IN NS mail3.zimbra.DOMAIN.com. zimbra.DOMAIN.com. IN MX 10 mail3.zimbra.DOMAIN.com. _xmpp-client._tcp.zimbra.DOMAIN.com. SRV 5 0 5222 mail3.zimbra.DOMAIN.com. _xmpp-server._tcp.zimbra.DOMAIN.com SRV 5 0 5269 mail3.zimbra.DOMAIN.com. _jabber._tcp.zimbra.DOMAIN.com. SRV 5 0 5269 mail3.zimbra.DOMAIN.com. mail3 IN A 192.168.0.16
The _jabber._tcp if for backward compatibility for older servers and shouldn't be necessary.