Accessing Zimbra Collaboration Suite with Apple Mail
Accessing Zimbra Collaboration with Apple Mail
This guide assumes that Apple Mail is already installed on your computer.
To access your email, you must have the following information:
- Your Zimbra email address and password.
- Incoming mail server. This is usually in the form of mail.domain.com.
- Outgoing mail server (SMTP). This is usually in the form of smtp.domain.com.
Your system administrator will be able to give you this if you do not already have it - you'll use it to create an account in Apple Mail. The following steps guide you through setting up a new account in Apple Mail.
To create a new account in Apple Mail
1. Go to File>Add Account. This will open the Account Wizard.
Note: If you have opened Apple Mail for the first time, the New Account dialog will automatically open.
2. Under General Information, provide the following information.
- Account Type- Select either IMAP (mail stored on the server) or POP (mail downloaded to Apple Mail; no copy on the server). IMAP is usually recommended if you plan to access your account from multiple computers and if you want the server's administrator's to take care of mail backups for you.
- Account Description - Enter a name for your new Apple Mail account. This doesn't have to be your email address.
- Full name. - Enter the name you want to use in your new Apple Mail account - This will show up as the name you send out as.
- Email Address - Enter your Zimbra email address.
3. Under Incoming Mail Server, provide the following information:
- Incoming Mail Server - This is typically in the form of mail.example.com.
- User Name - This is your Zimbra username, including domain. For example: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Password - This is your Zimbra password.
4. Under Outgoing Mail Server, provide the following information:
- Outgoing Mail Server. This is typically in the form of smtp.example.com.
- Use Authentication. Select whether to use authentication when sending outgoing mail. If you choose to use authentication, provide your Zimbra user name and password.
5. Under Outgoing Mail Security, provide the following information:
- Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) - In the typical case this would be checked. If you check it, select one of the following from the drop-down Authentication list. - if you're not sure which one, ask your system/mail/IT administrator.
- MD5 Challenge-Response
- Kerberos Version 4
- Kerberos Version 5 (GSSAPI)
6. Under Account Summary, review your account information. To make corrections, click Go Back. When your account information is correct, click Continue.
7. Under Conclusion, you can choose to Import Mailboxes or Create Another Account. If you are finished, click Done.
Your account has been created and can now be used to access your Zimbra Mail.