Changing the zimbra server's hostname
Step 1: MAKE A VERY GOOD BACKUP (your entire /opt/zimbra and any linked folders)
su - zimbra zmcontrol stop /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmsetservername NEW_HOSTNAME
will set the zimbra server's name to NEW_HOSTNAME
2. Now update the ip address(es) and host name(s) for the server(s).
3. Some additional conf files will need to modify manually to reflect the new hostname:
- ldap-scm.cf - ldap-transport.cf - ldap-vad.cf - ldap-vmd.cf - ldap-vmm.cf - ldap-vam.cf
4. Update DNS server
5. Edit /etc/sysconfig/network
6. Edit /etc/hosts file with new hostname
(Those in multi server setups-restarting services on all hosts is required after this operation be sure to change any corresponding references to the old hostname!)
Things to check afterwards: It may not catch everything, but you can check manually. use zmlocalconfig and zmprov to check the global config, server configs, user settings, etc.
zmprov gacf | grep zimbra.personal.com etc...
You may need to regenerate certificates.
Notes on what people had to change manually after zmsetservername:
Someone's note: zmprov mcf zimbraLogHostname zimbra.company.com zmlocalconfig -e zimbra_server_hostname=zimbra.company.com zmlocalconfig -e ldap_master_url=ldap://zimbra.company.com:389 zmlocalconfig -e ldap_url=ldap://zimbra.company.com zmlocalconfig -e snmp_trap_host=zimbra.company.com zmlocalconfig -e email@example.com zmlocalconfig -e firstname.lastname@example.org zmlocalconfig -e email@example.com
Another response: There are several files in which I found the old host name after making all the above changes. I edited these files and replaced the old name with the new one (root user): Under zimbra/conf: ldap-vmd.cf ldap-vam.cf amavisd.con ldap-vad.cf ldap-scm.cf ldap-transport.cf ldap-vmm.cf perdition.conf swatchrc I also had an entry in: zimbra/postfix/conf/main.cf (myhostname)
Not checked for reliability-someone recently mentioned:
If you follow the directions exactly (stopping the services first), you get an error. If, instead, you just run the command, there is no error, and it stops the services automatically. That seems to have solved my "problem", or at least alleviated my fears. Since the internal DNS lists both domains fully, I'm not too worried about any leftover domain issues.
I had to switch the domain name and found troubles with the logger and server statistics:
(zimbra 4.5.5 on ubuntu 6.06)
these two hints worked fine: 1) the stopping services first thing 2) then: change of /etc/hosts and hostname newhostname
Code: su - zimbra zmloggerctl stop ps aux | grep zmlogger kill any logger processes zmloggerctl start /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmlogprocess
And my graps started working on the fly.
But after this, I had TWO server-statistics: 1. the old ones with the old servername 2. a new - empty - set with the new servername.
at this point dnsdomainname still gave me the old domain !
I changed the content of the filename /etc/hostname (containing the old hostname ) and did a reboot.
Now serverstatistics gives me only one servername, the new one, with the old statistical data still there and the new one displayed in a new set of graphs.
Beware: Before going the way described above, I had tried to solve the logging problem with: zmprov mcf zimbraLogHostname newhostname I finished up with a big mess and had to reverse completely to the old hostname to get the admin-console working again.
Someone else's OLDER sans-zmsetservername method:
I went through the very painful process of chaning my hostname without reinstalling zimbra. This will probably void your warranty, but it worked for me (FC4, M1):
Change your hostname using hostname. Change your hosts file and your /etc/sysconfig/network
use zmprov to change the following fields to your new hostname zimbraLmtpAdvertisedName zimbraServiceHostname zimbraSmtpHostname
zmprov cs oldserver.com zimbraLmtpAdvertisedName newserver.com ....
Then, for every single user in your sytem (that's right), you have to do this:
zmprov ma firstname.lastname@example.org zimbraMailHost new.domain.com
I suggest writing a shell script. To get a list of users, do this or something similar:
zmprov gaa -v | grep '# name'
Once your done with this tedious task, do a:
grep -il oldserver.com ~zimbra/conf/*
Change the hostname in any of the files returned by this command using vi or whatever.
Then shutdown your zimbra software:
Start it back up:
The only service that will start is ldap and zmmon (for the server in question, at least). This is where it gets fun. You have to manually edit the directory as follows.
First figure out your DN. From ~zimbra/openldap/bin do a:
./ldapsearch -x | grep oldservername.com
You will see a line that looks like this:
- oldhost.domain.com, servers, zimbra
dn: cn=oldhost.domain.com,cn=servers,cn=zimbra [snip] cn: oldhost.domain.com
This is the dn of your server. You will need to change it. To do so create a file called, for example, changes.ldif. For the above example, it would look like this:
Now, grab your zimbra_ldap_password from ~zimbra/conf/localconfig.xml.
Then run the following command from your ~zimbra/openldap/bin dir:
./ldapmodrdn -h localhost -w password_From_above -D "uid=zimbra,cn=admins,cn=zimbra" -x -r -f changes.ldif
Now do a zmcontrol shutdown. Then do a ps -U zimbra and kill any zimbra-related processes that are still hanging around. If you kill perl, you should clear the .pid file here:
Now rebuild your SSL keys for the new hostname.
If all went well, everything should start on a zmcontrol startup
One thing I didn't address is changing the hostname on statistics data in mysql, but it doesn't seem to cause a problem, so I haven't gotten around to it yet.
Make sure to back everything up and cross your fingers. This should really be possible through zmprov or the admin console, but beta software is fun!