Zimbra on FreeBSD
The Perforce cache gives users access to download and build/modify Zimbra source code for Open Source products. Building Zimbra Collaboration Suite from Zimbra's Perforce cache requires advanced knowledge of troubleshooting. It is not available for Network Edition components. Changes cannot be committed to the Perforce cache.
By fetching Zimbra from zimbra.imladris.sk, you agree to Zimbra's licensing terms. I am not good at legal stuff, screw it.
Technical support for source building can be found in the Zimbra Developers forum.
Zimbra does not support FreeBSD out of the box and there are no plans for the future support (or so we all heard). I tried to integrate FreeBSD into source tree as much as possible so the same version should compile fine on other supported systems.
GNR-601 *was* the latest 6.0 series release at the time of writing this document. Current version and changelist can be found on Pmweb.
This document summarizes everything related to GNR-601 on FreeBSD-7, however patched GNR-601 will build on FreeBSD-6 and FreeBSD-8 as well.
This is a complete rework of GNR-601 source tree and it sometimes makes things better than the original. Some notable changes:
1) openssl, bdb, libtool, popt, expat, pcre, libxml2, tcmalloc are used from base system.
Rest is too Zimbra specific and would be of no other use on the system.
2) most perl modules are used from base system. Those left unchanged are:
Getopt::Easy - not in /usr/ports and it's not really used at all besides one tiny script (no idea why not using Getopt::Long like usual),
DBD::mysql - mysql specific includes/libs not part of base,
Net-LDAPapi - ldap/cyrus-sasl specific includes/libs not part of base,
Mail-SpamAssassin - requires different datadir.
3) FreeBSD specific includes in ZimbraBuild/defs/FreeBSD* and ZimbraBuild/defs/ThirdParty/*
4) package generation is handled by pkg_create so we install real FreeBSD specific packages.
5) complete rework of PRE-INSTALL/POST-INSTALL/DEINSTALL scripts in ZimbraBuild/rpmconf/Spec/Scripts/FreeBSD.
6) every su - zimbra -c call has been replaced by sudo -u zimbra -i -- -c call because su+bash is hitting a race condition on FreeBSD-7.2 (and other systems.. like Linux) which causes some scripts to hang up indefinitely.
7) libexec/zmfixperms now fixes all needed permissions. It is called in every POST-INSTALL script.
Building GNR-601 on FreeBSD-7.2_amd64
Installing GNR-601 on FreeBSD-7.2_amd64 without building
Building GNR-601 on FreeBSD-7.2_i386
Installing GNR-601 on FreeBSD-7.2_i386 without building
su - zimbra zmlocalconfig -e zmmtaconfig_interval=6000 zmprov mcf zimbraLogRawLifetime 7d zmprov mcf zimbraLogSummaryLifetime 30d /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmlogprocess
sed -I "" -e s'|.* \* \* \* \* /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmstatuslog|\*/60 \* \* \* \* /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmstatuslog|' /var/cron/tabs/zimbra
1) create a Zimbra FreeBSD specific start-up script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d.
I failed miserably at the attempt so please someone supply somehow..
This is the part where opensource community unites to solve all the problems!
I will try to keep this project real. If you don't see the new version here, please write me a request. New versions require the same steps as the old versions unless stated otherwise (e.g.: just substitute '601' with '602').
--Solko 22:59, 6 December 2009 (UTC)