Zimbra Next Generation Modules/Things To Know Before Upgrading
Upgrading from version between 8.0 to 8.6
Upgrading to 8.8 is supported but there are a number of items you need to be aware of:
- 8.8 requires the installation of the proxy server on all setups. In most cases a single server installation does not have proxy installed and configured. The following command can be used to see if proxy is installed and enable.
[zimbra@Server ~]$ zmprov gs `zmhostname` |grep zimbraService |grep proxy zimbraServiceEnabled: proxy zimbraServiceInstalled: proxy
If proxy shows as installed and enabled then proxy is running within your system. If not, then you will need to enable proxy by following the Enabling Zimbra Proxy and memcached wiki.
Upgrading from version between 6.0.8 to 7.2.x
In most cases, Zimbra Support recommends doing a migration to a new system, for more information, please see Incremental Migration using Next Generation Backup
There are no new license requirements for next generation modules. All new modules require a valid license and the number of accounts that can use the Mobile modules will be limited to the number defined by MobileSyncAccountsLimit within the license. You can verify the license by running the following from the command line:
During the upgrade process you will be prompted to install the new Modules
Install zimbra-chat [Y] Install zimbra-drive [Y] Install zimbra-imapd [Y] Install zimbra-network-modules-ng [Y]
IMAPD is a beta feature but the installer is set to install the packages as part of the default installation for upgrades and new installations. Because the module is independent from the remaining modules and needs to be enabled after installation, this will not effect your current production installation. If you like to exclude the module from your installation, you can enter N when selecting modules section of the installation process.
Install zimbra-imapd [Y] N
Because IMAPD is a beta module, it is not a supported feature and is recommended only to be enabled on non production systems.
If network modules are excluded during a new installation or upgrade, to install them at a later date, you will need to run the installer and select the packages. After installation is complete, please review Missing NG Modules After Installation
NG Features OverView
NG HSM Module: After a successful upgrade the new HSM will be enabled. No action needed
NG Mobile Module: With a successful upgrade, you will need to know the following:
- Activation of NG mobile module needs to be performed on each mail store
- All accounts on the mail store will be migrated to the new NG mobile module at the time of activation
- The existing sync profiles will be used by the NG mobile module.
- Users do not need to update the profile on the device(s)
- Sync tokens will automatically be reset, which causes all data to automatically be reloaded on each device.
- Legacy data will be removed before new data is synced. Users could see the data on the device disappear the reappear, but all data should be the same.
- After device has been fully synced, users will be able to sync shared calendars, contacts and mail folders.
- Zimbra Support recommends planning activation of NG mobile module during off hours to limit the confusion and user interruption that may occur do to re-syncing data.
- For customers running multiple mail stores, Support recommends staggering activation of NG mobile modules to limit end user confusion, network traffic and IO issues.
NG Admin Module:With a successful upgrade, you will need to know the following:
- Activation of NG Admin module needs to be performed after upgrade.
- When activating NG Admin module all servers in the cluster will be effected.
- Activating NG Admin module will convert existing ACL’s rules into NG Admin rules
- Existing ACL’s rules will be removed from the system.
- There is no option to restore legacy ACL’s.
- Support recommend testing NG Admin Module on a test system to verify it meets your origination needs.
NG Backup Module: With a successful upgrade, you will need to know the following:
- NG Backup Module will be installed on each Mail Store doing the upgrade or installation.
- NG Backup Module will only backup the account on the mail store
- NG Backup Module needs to be manually enabled
- NG Backup Module will perform a full scan at initialization - we recommend during after hours to limit system performance
- Legacy backup needs to disabled after completion of first scan