Zimbra Desktop 2
Read This Before Installing Zimbra Desktop
Please note that Zimbra Desktop is subject to Export Restrictions.
Please refer to Zimbra Desktop FAQ to find information ranging from how to use the software to how to troubleshoot and report issues.
At least 200MB free disk space is required to install the software. Additional disk space is required to download mailbox data.
At least 512MB free memory is required -- to run Zimbra Desktop.
The computer must have network connectivity at account setup. Network connectivity is also required to synchronize mailboxes with servers.
This release supports the following 3 platforms:
- Windows XP SP2 and above, including all versions of Windows Vista and Windows 7
- Mac OS X (Intel) Leopard 10.5.8 and above or Snow Leopard 10.6.2
- Linux (x86) 2.6.x and above
NOTE: PowerPC based Mac OS is not supported.
Installation Instructions for First Time Users
- Download the installer for the operating system of your choice.
- Make sure the location where you install the software has enough disk space. If you plan to sync with large mailboxes, it is important to allocate enough space for all your mailbox data (the data will be saved under your home data directory).
- Note, you must have sufficient access rights to install to the specified installation folder.
- On Mac OS do not run installer as the "root" user.
- On Linux, if you choose default install location and/or want to perform multi-user installation, please run installer as root. See Zimbra Desktop FAQ for more information.
- Run the installation wizard and follow the step-by-step instructions. (In Linux, the installation wizard is the file install.pl, which will be found in the unpacked TGZ file. If you are logged in as root, click on the file and run in a terminal window. If you are not logged in as root, open a terminal window, navigate to the directory where the install.pl script is located, type sudo install.pl and then press <enter> and follow the prompts. Install.pl requires perl to run.
Using the Software
When you first launch Zimbra Desktop, you will need to set up one or more accounts. Zimbra Desktop supports the following account types:
- Zimbra Account – You must have an existing account from an employer or a service provider that runs Zimbra Collaboration Suite (ZCS). ZCS 5.0 servers or above are required.
- Gmail Account – You MUST first enable IMAP access from Gmail website.
- Yahoo! Mail Account – Including @yahoo.com, @ymail.com, @rocketmail.com, and non-US yahoo domains.
- Exchange IMAP Account – Your Exchange server must provide IMAP access. Only mail sync is supported.
- Other POP/IMAP Accounts – You MUST have complete settings information in order to set up POP/IMAP access. Your can obtain such information from your service provider.
You can also set up more than one of the same type of accounts. For example, if you have two Zimbra accounts or two Gmail accounts, they can coexist without problems.
NOTE: You MUST have Internet access when setting up accounts, as Zimbra Desktop will need to verify your settings with your service providers.
You can either set up all your accounts first, or set up one first and add others later. Once your accounts are set up, click “Launch Zimbra Desktop” and start using the software. At any time when you want to add, update or remove accounts, simply click the “Setup” link (next to help) to go back to Account Setup screen.
NOTE: With large mailboxes or slow network connections, initial sync could take many hours. During initial sync, you will be still able to read, compose, send and receive new email. However you may not find all your messages in search results until the end of initial sync. It is OK if your network connection is interrupted or your computer crashes during initial sync. Zimbra Desktop will continue from the last check point when it resumes.
Startup and Shutdown
On Windows, you will find the Zimbra Desktop program in the Start menu. On Mac OS, it's located under /Applications/Zimbra Desktop. On Linux, there should be a shortcut placed the desktop. If not, log in as the applicable user, open a terminal window, sudo /opt/zimbra/zdesktop/linux/user-install.pl and follow the prompts. (Note: the command must be run under sudo, and will create the Desktop icon with root as the owner.) Be sure to run the file the first time by pressing <enter> at conclusion of the user install.
You can close the GUI client window any time. If you are in the middle of composing an email or have any unsaved changes, make sure to save them before closing the window.
Note that in addition to the GUI client, Zimbra Desktop also has a data engine responsible for synchronizing data with your remote accounts. The data engine will continue to run after you close the client window.
Special Note about Gmail
Gmail IMAP server lists all Gmail labels as folders. This includes both system labels such as “All Mail” and “Starred”, as well as user created labels. Because a single email can have multiple labels, as a result the same email can exist in multiple folders. To avoid downloading duplicate data, we ignore system label folders such as “All Mail” and “Starred”.
When you are disconnected from network or a remote server becomes unavailable, you are in offline mode. You can be in offline mode with a particular mailbox if only that server is temporarily down. When in offline mode, any data that is already downloaded is accessible. New updates to your remote mailbox including new emails will not be received until you are reconnected with that server. You will be able to compose and send emails while offline, but the outgoing emails will remain in the Outbox folder and will not be delivered until after you reconnect to the server.
If the network connectivity is lost while data synchronization with a remote server is under way, the process will resume where it was interrupted when connectivity recovers. No data will be lost due to connectivity disruption.
For more information please refer to Zimbra Desktop FAQ.
Source Code Information
Now available in the public perforce cache: Building_Zimbra_using_Perforce#Building_Zimbra_Desktop
Contact Information and Support