Zimbra Desktop 1.0 Download and Install FAQ
Note: For information about recent releases of Zimbra Desktop, see the Zimbra Desktop section on the Wiki Main Page
What are the prerequisites of installing and running ZD?
- Before you start, you should check out the Zimbra Desktop wiki page where you can read about the latest release and known issues.
Where do I download the installer?
- Go here to download the installer for your platform.
What platforms do ZD support?
- ZD can run on Windows XP (x86), Windows Vista (x86), Mac OS X Tiger (Intel), Mac OS X Leopard (Intel), a variety of Linux (i686) flavors including Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Suse and others.
Where is the install location?
- While you can choose to install to any folder on your computer, the default location is under the home directory of your system. In particular, these are the default paths on their respective platforms.
- Windows XP - C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Zimbra\zdesktop
- Windows Vista - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Zimbra\zdesktop
- Mac OS - /Users/<username>/zimbra/zdesktop
- Linux - /home/<username>/zimbra/zdesktop
- In the rest of this FAQ we will refer to the install location as <install>.
I installed a previous version of ZD. Can I upgrade?
- If you are running build 1083 or later, you can upgrade by simply running the installer of the latest release. The installer will migrate existing data if necessary. If you are running a version earlier than build 1083, you must first do a clean uninstall of the old version and delete all data on your computer before proceeding.
I'm an existing ZD user and today a dialog pops up asking me to upgrade. What should I do?
- When running, ZD periodically checks for new updates. If there is an update, it will ask the user to upgrade. To start the upgrade, all you need to do is to click the Install button and follow the wizard.
How do I know which version/build I'm running?
- Run ZD. All platforms: The main ZD has a "Commands" icon (a grey gear) in the bottom left of the main ZD window. On Windows ZD has a tray icon in the system tray. Left-click on the "Commands" Icon or right-click the tray icon and select About Zimbra Desktop. The About dialog will show your version and build number. Please remember to always include your version and build number when reporting issues.
How to install spell checker dictionaries?
- ZD includes one default spell checker dictionary of U.S. English (en-US). You may follow these steps to install dictionaries in other locales we support.
- (1) Download the dictionaries from these links:
da Dansk de Deutsch en-GB English(UK) es-ES Español(de España) fr Français it Italiano nl Nederlands pl Polski pt-BR Português(do Brasil) ru Русский sv Svenska
- (2) Unzip the dictionary package to the "dictionaries" directory. Depending on which OS you are running, the directory location is:
- Windows: <install>\win32\prism\xulrunner\dictionaries
- MacOS: <install>/macos/prism/Prism.app/Contents/Frameworks/XUL.framework/dictionaries
- Linux: <install>/linux/prism/xulrunner/dictionaries
- (3) Edit <install>/data/profile/user.js file and set correct locale to "spellchecker.dictionary" user preference. For example, if you want to use U.K. English dictionary, you should have this line in your user.js:
- user_pref("spellchecker.dictionary", "en-GB");
- (3b) it seems necessary to modify also : X:/Users/***/AppData/Local/Zimbra/Zimbra Desktop/profile/user.js
- (4) Restart ZD.
How do I uninstall Zimbra Desktop?
- You can uninstall Zimbra Desktop by running the uninstaller. The uninstaller is located under the folder where you installed the Zimbra Desktop software. On Windows you can also use "Add or Remove Programs" to uninstall.
- (1) Run the uninstaller and follow the on-screen instructions.
- (2) By default the uninstaller will only remove the software and will leave any downloaded data intact. This allows future software upgrades without resyncing mailbox data from scratch. If however you intend to delete all data as well, you can check the “DELETE ALL DATA” checkbox during uninstall. Alternatively, you can first use the uninstaller to remove the software and then simply delete the entire folder where Zimbra Desktop was installed.
- (3) For a clean uninstall, make sure the existing install folder is completely removed.
Note: At least on Ubuntu there is not uninstall file for Zimbra Desktop 2.0 (build 10580).
I ran into an error when uninstalling Zimbra Desktop. What do I do now?
- Sometimes due to unexpected install failures, uninstall will fail. If the uninstall process fails, use the following steps to manually uninstall Zimbra Desktop.
- NOTE: These steps are for experienced users only. If you are not comfortable with changing system settings, STOP!
- On Windows
- (1) Close the GUI client window. The GUI client can minimize to tray, so make sure you actually quit it. In Task Manager the name of the GUI client process is zdclient.exe.
- (2) Make sure that the Zimbra Desktop service is not running. In Task Manager the name of the service is zdesktop.exe. If it is, use the Service Manager to stop the service. If that fails to stop, you can use the Task Manager to stop the process.
- (3) Use the registry editor (regedt32) to remove the uninstaller entry in "Add or Remove Programs." Find and delete the Zimbra Desktop entry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall.
- (4) Use the registry editor to remove the Window service. Find and delete the Zimbra Desktop entry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services.
- (5) Delete the installation directory. Note that if you want to preserve mailbox data, don't delete these 3 folders: derby, store, index.
- (6) Reboot Windows. This is important for your registry updates to take effect.
- On Mac OS
- (1) Close the GUI client window.
- (2) Make sure that the Zimbra Desktop service process is not running. It is a java process. If the service process is running, open a terminal window and cd into the install directory. Then run the following at the command line:
- If that fails to stop the service, you can terminate the process using the Activity Monitor GUI.
- (3) Delete the install directory. Note that if you want to preserve mailbox data, don't delete these 3 folders: derby, store, index.
- (4) In the terminal window type the following to remove the launched agent:
launchctl stop com.zimbra.zdesktop launchctl remove com.zimbra.zdesktop rm ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.zimbra.zdesktop.plist
- On Linux
- (1) Close the GUI client window.