Windows Mail app using EAS (Exchange ActiveSync)
- 1 Windows Mail app using EAS (Exchange ActiveSync) in Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10
- 1.1 Preparing the COS and checking your license
- 1.2 Configuring your account in the Windows Mail app
- 1.3 Test the synchronization between the Mail app and the WebClient
- 1.4 Advantages of still using the ZCO with a Microsoft Outlook 2010 and above
- 1.5 Identified Support/Known Issues
Windows Mail app using EAS (Exchange ActiveSync) in Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10
Windows Mail app in Microsoft Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 using EAS (Exchange ActiveSync). Zimbra Collaboration Exchange Activesync is available since ZCS 8.5 or above and is a Network Edition feature.
Preparing the COS and checking your license
To use the EAS feature in Windows Mail app, you need to have a Mobile Sync Accounts in the Zimbra License. You can check your license with the command:
zimbra@zimbra-sn-u14-10:~$ zmlicense -p | grep MobileSync* MobileSyncAccountsLimit=100 MobileSyncEnabled=true
If you have a valid license and enough accounts to configure it, enable the Mobile sync in the COS that you want under Home > Configure > Class of Service > YOURCOS > Zimbra Mobile
Configuring your account in the Windows Mail app
Be sure that you are using Microsoft 8, 8.1 or 10, as the EAS feature will not work in Windows 7 or earlier.
Click the Start Button and click the Mail Icon and search for the Feature called Mail
The Mail app wizard will appear, click in Get Started:
Then click in Add account to add your Zimbra account:
Select the Exchange option:
If the Autodiscover feature is properly configured, just introduce here your Email and your Password when prompt for it.
In the Autodiscover feature is not configured, you need to introduce all the information manually. You will receive the next error, click on Advanced Settings:
- Email address - Your business email address.
- Server address - Usually is the same URL like the WebClient, (mail.example.com)
- Domain - The domain of your Company, (example.com)
- Username - Your username, usually is the first part of the email address, like email@example.com, the username will be user
- Password - The password from your business email.
In case that uses a Self-Signed certificate, and you do not have the valid CA and the SSL certificate installed on the Computer, will prompt a warning. The best option is have a valid Commercial SSL certificate.
The wizard will finish and will ask to follow the policies that the server has.
And then, your account is ready to use:
Test the synchronization between the Mail app and the WebClient
Once the Profile is configured, just click in the Mail app icon. Once opened, confirm that you have all the items synchronized between the WebClient and the Mail app.
Note: You are not able to check Shared Items for other users, such as Mail folders, calendars, etc. If you want to do this, you need to install and configure the ZCO and use Microsoft Outlook 2010 or above
Using the Contacts, you will have all the Contacts synchronized between the Mail app and the WebClient. To open the Contacts, click into the Start Menu and click in People:
You will be able to see the Contacts that you have in your Zimbra Web Client:
You can click in Settings to be sure that you are pulling the Contacts from the Zimbra Server with your account:
Zimbra with an account in EAS can synchronize the Calendar too, you can see the Calendar icon in your Mail app:
Or just open the Calendar app in the Start Menu:
First time you open the Calendar app, you will need to go through the wizard:
Once you verified that you have there your Zimbra account, click in Get Started:
Here is the example and appointment created on the Web Client and automatically synced in the Mail App.
Advantages of still using the ZCO with a Microsoft Outlook 2010 and above
Zimbra Connector for Outlook (ZCO) has more options than a configuration with Outlook and EAS, with ZCO you can:
- have the Out-of-Office Synced
- see and manage Shared Items: Mail folders, Calendars, Adress Books, etc.
- have the same rules in Webclient and also in Outlook with ZCO
- all the signatures will sync, some users have different signatures with "template emails"
- Outlook with ZCO permits import a .PST from other Outlook versions or previous backup
Identified Support/Known Issues
Known issues include the following bugs:
- Is not a Zimbra Issue, in a Microsoft Outlook 2013 EAS account, can't import PST files, only open it in Read-Only, if try to move some email from a opened .pst to the EAS folders, will obtain this error:
- [Bug 83727] - Contacts sub-folders and Global Address List do not sync when using an Outlook 2013 Exchange ActiveSync profile.
- [Bug 83736] - Read receipt notifications are not received when enabled when using an Outlook 2013 Exchange ActiveSync profile.
- [Bug 83747] - Categories and Tags are not displaying in the Zimbra Web Client when using Outlook 2013 Exchange ActiveSync.
- [Bug 83750] - Appointment and tasks display in HTML body format in Outlook 2013 Exchange ActiveSync.
- [Bug 83790] - Contact notes do not display in the Zimbra Web Client when using Outlook 2013 Exchange ActiveSync.
- [Bug 83793] - Task reminders in the Zimbra Web Client do not sync when using Outlook 2013 Exchange ActiveSync.
- [Bug 83801] - Numerous known issues when using Outlook 2013 Exchange ActiveSync.