Troubleshooting Tomcat Issues With Java 1.6
|- This article is currently being revised. This means that the information may not be up to date or accurate.|
To troubleshoot mailbox server tomcat OutOfMemory (OOME), or hang/unresponsive issues, Zimbra Support usually requests for stacktrace (catalina.out), mailbox.log and zimbrastats.csv files from customers. When these files do *not* review any useful information, Zimbra will need java heap dumps to pinpoint the issue. Until Zimbra ships Java 1.6 starting in ZCS 4.5.7, you'll be requested to follow the instructions in this article to install Java 1.6 manually, and collect all the necessary information.
1. Zimbra currently ships with Java 1.5 on non-Mac platforms.
2. Java 1.6 is not going to fix the issue. It'll only help us gather the heap dumps so that we can find out the root cause of the problem.
3. Before upgrading to the next version, you should revert back to Java 1.5.
Procedures to Install and Configure Java 1.6
1. Download JDK 6u1 from http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp.
(Note: The procedures here were verified against 6u1, but should be applicable to 6u2 as well, except for the path name).
2. Follow the instructions included with the download to install Java 1.6.
3. As the zimbra user, run:
4. As root, run:
mv /opt/zimbra/jdk1.5.0_08 /opt/zimbra/jdk1.5.0_08_orig cp -a /usr/java/jdk1.6.0_01 /opt/zimbra/jdk1.5.0_08 cd /opt/zimbra/libexec mv zmtomcatmgr zmtomcatmgr.orig ln -s zmtomcatmgr.unrestricted zmtomcatmgr
5. As the zimbra user, run:
zmlocalconfig -e tomcat_java_options="-client -XX:NewRatio=2 -verbose:gc -XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps
-XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -XX:HeapDumpPath=/opt/zimbra/log -XX:ErrorFile=/opt/zimbra/log/java_error%p.log"
7. To verify that everything starts OK, as the zimbra user, run:
As root, run:
which should show an output similar to the following:
12221 TomcatLauncher 12313 TransformationSomething
The above means that two JVM processes are alive.
Data to Collect
|Verified Against: Zimbra Collaboration Suite 4.5.4 on RHEL4 32-bit|
|Article ID: http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title=Troubleshooting_Tomcat_Issues_With_Java_1.6||Date Created: July 12, 2007||Date Modified: July 12, 2007|