Troubleshooting Course Content Rough Drafts-Zimbra Architecture Component Overview
Zimbra Architecture / Component Overview
- insert architecture image here
- insert architecture image here
Zimbra Ldap - OpenLdap
- What is OpenLdap
OpenLDAP Software is an open source implementation of the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol/OpenLDAP is a free, open source implementation of the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) developed by the OpenLDAP Project.
- What is it used for
LDAP is a protocol for accessing a directory. A directory contains objects; generally those related to users, groups, computers, printers and so on; company structure information/LDAP gives you query methods to add, update and remove objects within a directory
- How does Zimbra use OpenLdap
- The importance if OpenLdap
Zimbra MTA - Postfix
- What is a MTA
A Message Transfer Agent or Mail Transfer Agent or Mail Relay is software that transfers electronic mail messages from one computer to another using a client–server architecture. An MTA implements both the client (sending) and server (receiving) portions of the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP ) port 25.
- What does it do
A Mail Transfer Agent receives mail from either another MTA or from a MUA. The transmission details are specified by the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP). When a recipient mailbox of a message is not hosted locally, the message is relayed, that is, forwarded to another MTA.
- How does Zimbra use a MTA/Postfix specifically
Zimbra uses postfix for its Mail Transfer Agent. Postfix is a free and open-source mail transfer agent (MTA). Postfix is secure and easy to configure and maintain.
Zimbra Reverse-Proxy - NGINX
- What is a Reverse-Proxy
a reverse proxy is a type of proxy server that retrieves resources on behalf of a client from one or more servers. These resources are then returned to the client as though they originated from the proxy server itself.
- What is Nginx and why we use Nginx
Nginx (pronounced engine-x) is a free, open-source, high-performance HTTP server and reverse proxy, as well as an IMAP/POP3 proxy server.
- How does Zimbra utilize Nginx for large scale environments
- The importance if Nginx
Zimbra Mailbox Server - "Mailboxd"
- What is a Mailbox Server
The Zimbra mailbox server is a dedicated server that manages all the mailbox content, including messages, contacts, calendar, and attachments. The Zimbra mailbox server has dedicated volumes for backup and log files. Each Zimbra mailbox server can see only its own storage volumes. Zimbra mailbox servers cannot see, read, or write to another server.
- What is it
- How does Zimbra use the Mailbox Server
DataStore IndexStore MessageStore
- The importance of the Mailbox Server
Zimbra AntiSpam/Antivirus - Amavisd - SpamAssassin - ClavAV
- What is AmavisD, SpamAssassin, ClamAV
amavisd-new is a high-performance interface between mailer (MTA) and content checkers: virus scanners, and/or SpamAssassin. SpamAssassin is used for e-mail spam filtering based on content-matching rules. SpamAssassin uses a variety of spam-detection techniques, that includes DNS-based and fuzzy-checksum-based spam detection, Bayesian filtering, external programs, blacklists and online databases. ClamAV is an open source anti-virus engine used in a variety of situations including email scanning, web scanning, and end point security. It provides a number of utilities including a flexible and scalable multi-threaded daemon, a command line scanner and an advanced tool for automatic database updates.
- What do they do
- AmavisD - amavisd-new is a high-performance interface between mailer (MTA) and content checkers: virus scanners, and/or SpamAssassin. (http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/)
- How does Zimbra use Amavis, SA, ClamAV
- The importance and the requirement
Zimbra Client architecture
- Webclient - HTML, AJAX
- Desktop clients - outlook, macmail, thunderbird
- Mobile - IOS, andoird, windowsphone - Activesync, pop, imap
- What is Postfix?
- How does Zimbra use Postfix
- How does the client communicate with the Proxy?
- How does the client communicate with the Mailbox Server?
- What is AmavisD?
- How does Zimbra utilize AmavisD as a AntiSpam/AntiVirus?