Top 10 FAQ
- 1 Admin Field Guide: Installation & Configuration
- 1.1 What are the pre-requirements for installing the Zimbra server, how do I avoid install hassles?
- 1.2 Avoiding conflicts: what are the default port configurations when Zimbra is installed?
- 1.3 How do I make sure that DNS is configured correctly?
- 1.4 What are the top issues affecting performance?
- 1.5 How does the license key work?
- 1.6 I can't get to the Admin UI when I type in the URL into my browser.
- 1.7 How do I install the Network Edition Virtual Appliance?
- 2 Features
- 3 General Questions
- 3.1 What features are available in the Network Edition Trial?
- 3.2 What phones are supported by Zimbra Mobile?
- 3.3 How do I access the Exchange migration tools?
- 3.4 Which browsers does the web client work with?
- 3.5 What languages is Zimbra translated into?
- 3.6 Can Zimbra scale to support large installations?
- 3.7 Does Zimbra support clustering?
- 3.8 We use Active Directory, what level of "access" into AD does Zimbra need to authenticate users?
- 3.9 Are there any instructions on installing Zimlets?
Admin Field Guide: Installation & Configuration
Here's some gotchas we hear about from the Zimbra Community when installing and configuring ZCS. Hope this makes for smooth sailing!
What are the pre-requirements for installing the Zimbra server, how do I avoid install hassles?
- Do you have all the install pre-req's ironed out like compat-libstc++, selinux disabled, and port conflicts resolved. Installation will check and fail on any of these condition.
- Pre-requirement: For Red Hat Enterprise, Fedora Core and SuSE operating systems, the server must also have the following installed
- NPTL. Native POSIX Thread Library
- Sudo. Superuser, required to delegate admins.
- libidn. For internationalizing domain names in applications (IDNA)
- cURL. A command line tool for transferring files with URL syntax
- fetchmail. A remote-mail retrieval and forwarding utility used for on-demand TCIP/IP links.
- GMP. GNU Multiple-Precision Library.
- compat-libstdcc++-33. Compatibility Standard C++ libraries. ( NOTE: The 32-bit version of the compat-libstdc rpm package is required for both 32-bit or 64-bit servers. )
- For Red Hat Enterprise only: compatlibstdcc++-296
Avoiding conflicts: what are the default port configurations when Zimbra is installed?
Default port usage:
- Postfix 25
- HTTP 80
- POP3 110
- IMAP 143
- LDAP 389
- HTTPS 443
- Tomcat IMAP SSL 993
- Tomcat POP SSL 995
- Tomcat LMTP 7025
How do I make sure that DNS is configured correctly?
- Overview of MTA and DNS
- Make sure the default domain supplied in the DNS wizard is the actual email domain and not the FQDN of the box
What are the top issues affecting performance?
- Make sure that your client machines satisfy the system requirements for systems specs, operating system, and browser.
- Make sure the server machines meet the system requirements for hardware and operating system; size your hardware with growth in mind!
- Review the system requirements (PDF)
- Evaluation and testing: Intel/AMD 32-bit CPU 1.5 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 5 GB free disk space for software and logs, mail storage space
- Production: Intel/AMD CPU 32-bit 2.0+ GHz, 2+ GB RAM, 10 GB free disk space for software and logs, mail storage space.
- RAID-5 not recommended for installations with more than 100 accounts
How does the license key work?
- The license key is provided to you in the Network trial registration email from the Sales Team.
- When you do the installation you will automatically be provided a single user license (admin) to enable the install.
- From the Admin UI (Global Settings / License / Update License) you can then apply the key to the trial system and provision up to 50 accounts for the life of the trial.
- After the trial expires you will no longer be able to add new accounts but the ones you already have provisioned may still work for some time.
- Existing customers with license issues can always visit the Support Portal
I can't get to the Admin UI when I type in the URL into my browser.
- Make sure the URL connects to the Admin UI using SSL: "https" and to port ":7071" by default.
How do I install the Network Edition Virtual Appliance?
- Here is a good place to start on the Wiki: Installing Network Edition VMware
- See also product documentation for release notes, hardware requirements, and more. ZCS 4.5 Beta 1 PDF
- How to enable Zimbra Documents
- Enabling on Zimbra Mobile
- Endabling Outlook Connector
- Provisioning new accounts
- How to open a shared calendar in Outlook
What features are available in the Network Edition Trial?
The Trial is fully featured: you have full access to everything including Outlook Connector, Zimbra Mobile, Clustering, and HSM for 60 days.
What phones are supported by Zimbra Mobile?
- All Windows Mobile 5 devices, Symbian S60 and S80 devices like the Nokia E-Series, Palm devices like the Treo 700P sync natively with Zimbra.
- Blackberry is supported through a third party partner.
How do I access the Exchange migration tools?
- In the Admin UI select the Wizard tab, you will find migration tools and documentation
Which browsers does the web client work with?
- Firefox 1.5+ on PC, Mac, Linux
- Internet Explorer 6+ on PC
- Safari 2.0+ on Mac
What languages is Zimbra translated into?
- French, German, Italian, Japanese, Finnish, Russian, among others.
- The Zimbra [Translations Language wiki] contains the latest list
Can Zimbra scale to support large installations?
- Zimbra supports installations from 25 mailboxes well past 1 million.
- For more information on scaling see Scalability Benchmark (PDF)
Does Zimbra support clustering?
- Zimbra uses Red Hat Cluster Suite to provide M+N clustering of our mailbox servers.
We use Active Directory, what level of "access" into AD does Zimbra need to authenticate users?
- In order for Zimbra to use external AD/LDAP for authentication and/or GAL, you need to create a user that can see all user objects in the AD schema.
- Configuration of external auth/GAL is by means of an easy wizard in the Admin UI.
Are there any instructions on installing Zimlets?
- Many customers write Zimlets on their own, but you can find a list of Zimbra's publicly announced Zimlets in the Zimbra Gallery
There is a complete Zimlets whitepaper available showing how to develop, deploy, etc. http://www.zimbra.com/pdf/Zimbra%20Zimlets%20Whitepaper.pdf" Can you add 3rd party services to Zimbra like Barracuda AS/AV? Yes - in addition to our native AS/AV, we can integrate with external AS/AV and many customers have done this.