Slack integration end user guide
Slack integration end user guide
Our Slack integration offers you the opportunity to connect your Slack account to Zimbra so you may quickly initiate conversations within Slack from Zimbra. This includes the ability to see if other users in your organization are online (if they have set the Slack integration up), the ability to launch private chat with users and even continue an email thread in a conversation on Slack.
Getting Started by Authorizing Slack
To get started using Slack with Zimbra, add your Slack workspaces in the Settings panel.
- Click on the gear icon
- Click on 'Settings'
- Click on 'Slack Integration.' Here you can add or remove your Slack workspaces to integrate them with Zimbra.
- Click the 'Sign In To Workspace' button
- A window will open asking to authorize access to the workspace data. Select a workspace in the dropdown in the top-right corner of the window and click 'Allow' to add it.
The workspace name and logo will then appear in the Settings panel You will have to repeat this process for each workspace you would like to add, in order for any integration features to work properly with that workspace
- To remove a workspace, simply click on the Trash icon next to it. It will disappear from the window
Checking User Presence and Sending Direct Messages.
You can check the active / away status of users in your contacts, calendar items, or email conversations for each of the workspaces you belong to. From there, you can easily start a direct message conversation with that user
- Hover over a name / email in the address bar of a sent or received email message or draft, or in the Invitees section of a calendar item
If no Slack indicator appears, the user is not a member of any of your Slack workspaces. A green dot indicates that they are active on at least one of your workspaces, while an orange dot indicates they are away from all workspaces
- If the user is a member of only one of your workspaces, clicking on the 'indicator' button will start a direct message conversation with that user and send you to it in the Slack app
- If the user is a member of more than one of your workspaces, a down caret will appear when you hover over the indicator button. Clicking the button displays a list of the common workspaces between you and the user, and their presence status for each. Clicking on any of these workspaces will start a direct message conversation in that workspace and send you to it in the Slack app.
Check a user's workspace presence status in the Contacts tab.
We can check the status of a user within the 'Contacts' tab of the web client itself.
- Click Contacts
- Select a contact
If the contact is a member of one of your workspaces, a presence indicator for that workspace will appear under the heading 'Slack' on the contact card.
- Click a workspace to start a direct message conversation with your contact
Converting an Email Conversation to a Private Slack Channel
You can generate a new channel in a Slack workspace to continue an email conversation.
- Click '…More' at the bottom of an email conversation message
- Click 'Start Slack Conversation'
- Click on the workspace where you would like to start the new channel
|Submitted by: Sandesh Satam|