Difference between revisions of "Outlook Troubleshooting Options"
|Line 15:||Line 15:|
<span class="BulletSymbol">• </span>If Outlook is hanging, or behaving strangely, run the Logging Control tool that is installed when the Connector for Outlook was installed. See
<span class="BulletSymbol">• </span>If Outlook is hanging, or behaving strangely, run the Logging Control tool that is installed when the Connector for Outlook was installed. See Logging Control for . This file should be sent to Zimbra support.
Revision as of 23:28, 30 July 2006
If the Outlook client is not synchronizing with the Zimbra server or if Outlook is not working correctly, several options are available to troubleshoot the problem.
• Review the user’s Sync Issues mail folder for errors.
• If the initial sync did not work, run the .msi file again and select Repair to see if reinstalling the ZCS Connector to Outlook resolves the problem.
• If Outlook closes unexpectedly, i.e. with the warning “Outlook ...needs to close,” generate core dumps for Outlook. Go to the Zimbra Wiki CoreDump page for directions. The core dump shows what Outlook was doing at the time of the crash. This file should be sent to Zimbra support.
• If Outlook is hanging, or behaving strangely, run the Logging Control tool that is installed when the Connector for Outlook was installed. See Logging Control for Troubleshooting below. This file should be sent to Zimbra support.
• Remove the Zimbra Connector for Outlook .msi file, delete the zdb file and the profile, and reinstall.
Reviewing Sync Issues Folders
When ZCS Connector for Outlook is installed, a Sync Issues mail folder with subfolders is created in their mailbox. If errors are found when Outlook syncs with the Zimbra server, message with attachments are automatically added to these folders. Users can tell when messages are in these folders if the folder is bold and the number of unread messages is displayed.
If users are having problems using Outlook and continuously receiving errors, the messages in these folders should be forwarded to sync_issues@ zimbra.com. These messages are created to help Zimbra technical support and engineering debug and fix errors.
Using Logging Control for Troubleshooting
If users encounter problems when logged on to Outlook, you can have them enable the logging control tool to log errors and events that occur while they are using Outlook. This log then can be sent to Zimbra for analysis.
ZCOLogCtl.exe is installed when ZCS Connector for Outlook is installed. This logging control tool is in the \Program files\common files\system\msmapi\1033 directory. When users encounter problems with synchronization, not receiving their mail, system crashes, or other unusual behavior, you should direct users to open this file and enable logging in order to log internal API calls and communication between Outlook and the Zimbra Server. The default log file size is 10 megabytes, but you can increase this when necessary. When the size of the log reaches the limit, the current log is set aside and a second log is created, therefore two logs of up to the maximum log size can be generated.
Important: After enabling logging from the ZCS Outlook Logging Control dialog, users must restart Outlook before errors and event can be logged.
When users restart Outlook, all their activities are logged. Users should attempt to recreate activities that are causing the problems. When the problem has been recreated, send the log files to Zimbra. Open the ZCS Connector for Outlook Logging Control .exe again and click Send Log to Zimbra.
Note: The Enable Logging should be unchecked to disable logging when not being used for troubleshooting. If logging is on continuously, performance may be affected. Outlook must be restarted when you make changes with the ZCOLogCtl.exe file.