Mobile Device Setup
|This article applies to the following ZCS versions.|
This article contains an overview of mobility options for Zimbra Collaboration Suite(ZCS), as well as information on how to set up Zimbra Mobile for most smartphones on specific operating systems. It also contains links to device-specific set-up pages, including information for the iPhone and Blackberry.
Zimbra Mobile Overview
Zimbra offers three options for accessing Zimbra accounts using mobile devices.
- Zimbra Mobile Web Client. The first option, the Zimbra Mobile Web Client, is the most versatile option since it can be accessed on almost any mobile device and requires no license or additional software. Using the Zimbra Mobile Web Client, users can access their mail, contacts, calendar, and briefcase.
- Zimbra Mobile for Smart Phones. The second option, Zimbra Mobile for Smart Phones, offers users two-way, over-the-air (OTA) synchronization and access to mail, contacts, calendar, and briefcase. This option only works for paid users of Zimbra Collaboration Suite. It works natively with iPhone, Android devices, Windows Mobile and Symbian S60/S80 smart phones.
- Note: In some instances, Zimbra Mobile for Smart Phones may work natively with a device, but the necessary sync plug-in is not bundled with the device. Plug-ins may be available via a third party, but may not be supported.
- Zimbra Connector for BlackBerry. The third option, Zimbra Connector for BlackBerry, is only for BlackBerry mobile devices. This option offers users two-way, OTA synchronization and access to mail, contacts, calendar, and briefcase. This option requires a paid Zimbra Collaboration Suite license plus you must have a BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES).
Accessing ZCS using Zimbra Mobile Web Client
All devices with an HTML-compatible browser can access Zimbra email, contacts, calendar, and briefcase using the Zimbra Mobile Web Client.
To use the Zimbra Mobile Web Client, open the HTML-compatible browser on your phone and type in the URL of your Zimbra Server with a /m/ at the end of the URL. For example:
Using Zimbra Mobile with iPhones
Performing these steps can delete all of the existing contacts on your iPhone. This is a common problem for iPhone users when creating a new ActiveSync account. You should ensure that you have backed up all of your contacts before proceeding.
First click on the "Settings" icon (the gears) and scroll down and select "Mail, Contacts, Calendars." On the next screen you will see and select "Add Account." Choose "Microsoft Exchange"
Next you will need to enter your account information:
- Email. This is your company email address (eg firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Password. This is your Zimbra password (the same on used for the Zimbra Web Client)
- Description. A description for your Account
Once you have successfully set up your account, you should begin to see mail folders contacts and your calendar(s) appear on the device. After, you may choose to edit either global or account-specific settings.
Global settings available affect all your email accounts and is located in Settings / Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Here you can set usability controls such as number of messages, previews, font size and more.
Within this screen you may also select your Zimbra Account and then select "Account Info" to adjust whether you want any of the syncing options changed, how many days of email and which folders you want pushed.
You can find more information on the Next Wiki - Zimbra_Mobile_Installation_and_Setup_for_iPhone
Configuring Zimbra Mobile for Smart Phones on Windows Mobile Devices
Windows Mobile 6 and Windows Mobile 5
The following instructions are for configuring access to a ZCS account on a Windows Mobile 6 or Windows Mobile 5 device.
Note: Some users may experience configuration difficulty if using SSL with Windows Mobile 5. Windows Mobile 5 includes a limited number of root certificates and it may be necessary to install your server’s signing CA’s certificate on the device in order to use SSL.
Note: Zimbra Mobile must be enabled by a system administrator before a device can be configured.
- Select Start.
- Select ActiveSync.
- Choose to configure a new account:
- a. If no account is configured for ActiveSync, select the option to "Set up your device to sync with it" [the server].
- b.If you are replacing a pre-existing account, select Menu and then select "Configure Server".
- In the box for "Server address:", enter the publicly accessible hostname of the server (zimbra.example.com).
- If the server requires SSL (that is, if the server's zimbraMailMode is "redirect", "https" or "mixed"), check the box for "This server requires an encrypted (SSL) connection". Note that Windows Mobile enforces strict verification of server certificates; if your zimbra server has the default self-signed certificate, you will not be able to use Zimbra Mobile unless you import the root certificate from the server into the device. See the link to the SSLChainSaver utility below.
- Select Next.
- In the "User name:" box, enter the username part of the email address ("bob" of "email@example.com").
- In the "Password:" box, enter the password of the user (firstname.lastname@example.org's password).
- In the "Domain:" box, enter the domain part of the email address ("example.com" of "email@example.com").
- Check the "Save password" box.
- Select Next.
- Check the boxes for any combination of Contacts, Calendar, and E-mail. As of ZCS 4.5.6, Tasks do not sync through Zimbra Mobile; selecting Tasks will cause the device to not sync properly with the server.
- Select Finish.
The device is now configured. Select Sync to synchronize the selected items with the server.
Windows Mobile 2003
The following instructions are for configuring access to a ZCS account on a Windows Mobile 2003 device.
- Connect the device to your Windows PC.
- Open ActiveSync if it is not already running.
- Go to the Tools Menu > Configure Server Source.
- Put the FQDN of your Zimbra Server in the server source box.
- Put a check next to “this server requires a encrypted (SSL) connection” (if appropriate).
- Enter the full email address of the user as the username.
- Enter their password.
- Enter their mail domain as the domain name.
- Put a check next to save password (as desired).
The device is now configured. You must now import a certificate from the Zimbra Server to your mobile device in order for it to sync, or you will get an error about an invalid cert.
To import the SSL cert into the mobile device, use the following steps.
- Go to /opt/zimbra/ssl/zimbra/ca directory and copy your ca.pem file to a safe location. (Make sure this is the new certificate that you have created)
- Run this command on the file you copied
$ openssl x509 -in ca.pem -inform PEM -out MyCertificatecrtcer -outform DER
- Copy the new MyCertificatecrt.cer file to your Windows Mobile device.
- Use your Windows Mobile device's File Manager to click on the MyCertificate.crt.cer file, you should receive a message that it was imported.
- Enable SSL in ActiveSync on your device.
Accessing ZCS using Zimbra Connector for BlackBerry
For information on configuring Zimbra Connector for BlackBerry(ZCB), see the ZCS Connector for Blackberry Guide. For more information on ZCB, including community articles and troubleshooting information, see Category:ZCB.
Community Articles for Accessing ZCS using Specific Devices
The following community articles include information on configuring specific devices. Some of these articles contain additional instructions for installing and configuring third-party mobile access. As community contributions, the instructions for installing and configuring third-party mobile access may not be supported for Network Edition customers.
- Motorola Q Phone
- Nokia E-Series
- Nokia E-Series with Self-Signed SSL Certificate
- Palm Treo 650
- Palm Treo 680
- Palm Treo 700w
- Palm TX
- Sony Ericsson
- Cingular 8125
- Cingular 8525
- Qtek A9100
The following categories and articles contain information on troubleshooting mobile issues.
- Resetting Your Mobile Device
- Category: Troubleshooting Mobile
- Category: Troubleshooting ZCB
- Basic Troubleshooting for ZCB
Forum Support for Mobile Options/Issues
The following areas are available on the Zimbra Forums for discussing mobility options and issues.