Mail client Configuration
This section will include how to get the best out of the Mail client program and web browser Zimbra interface.
Using the Zimbra Mail interface
The technology used to make the Zimbra web interface what it is can be accelerated through tuning your sysem.
Indeed sometime the web client will not even run, if for instance java is not installed.
Essentially use firefox which is quicker than Internet explorer Then install the Sun Java rather than the Microsoft Java
Using Zimbra with Thunderbird
Using Zimbra with Outlook
IMAP/POP/SMTP over SSL
- In /opt/zimbra/postfix/master.cf uncomment the following line:
#smtps inet n - n - - smtpd
- Restart/Reload postfix
You now have port 465 open for SSL SMTP. Make sure any firewall in place doesn't prevent access to the port.
- add a new email account, type of either IMAP or POP, whatever you prefer.
- In the advanced settings configuration screen, enable SMTP over SSL (This server requires encrypted connection (SSL)).
- Also make sure to enable IMAP or POP over SSL.
- Change the SMTP port to 465
That should be all thats needed. Outlook doesn't deal well with SSL on port 25 using the STARTTLS command. It prefers immediate SSL negotiation followed by SMTP (old style SMTP over SSL)