Exchange ActiveSync(EAS) Outlook 2013
|This article applies to the following ZCS versions.|
Outlook 2013 using EAS (Exchange ActiveSync)
Outlook 2013 using EAS (Exchange ActiveSync) was released in ZCS 8.5 or above and is a Network Edition feature.
Preparing the COS and checking the license
Use the EAS feature in Outlook 2013 needs to have a Mobile Sync Accounts in the Zimbra License, you can check the license with the next command:
zimbra@zimbra-sn-u14-10:~$ zmlicense -p | grep MobileSync* MobileSyncAccountsLimit=100 MobileSyncEnabled=true
If we have a valid license and enough accounts to configure it, is the turn to enable the Mobile sync in the COS that we want under Home > Configure > Class of Service > YOURCOS > Zimbra Mobile
Configuring the account in Microsoft Outlook 2013
We need to be sure that we are using Microsoft Outlook 2013, in 2010, 2007, etc will not work the EAS feature.
In case that uses a Self-Signed certificate, and don't have the valid CA and the SSL certificate installed on the Computer, will prompt this warning. The best option is have a valid Commercial SSL certificate.
Test the syncronization between Outlook 2013 and the WebClient
Once the Profile is already configured, just click in the Outlook icon
Once opened, we can check that we have all the items syncronized between the WebClient and Microsoft Outlook 2013. Note: We can't check the Shared Items for others users, like Mail folders, calendars, etc. In case that we want it, we need to install and configure the ZCO
Email, and Email Folders
Advantages of still using the ZCO with Outlook 2013 and above
Zimbra Connector for Outlook (ZCO) have much more options than a configuration with Outlook and EAS, with ZCO you can:
- Have the Out-of-Office Synced
- Can see and manage the Shared Items: Mail folders, Calendars, Adress Books, etc.
- You can have the same rules in Webclient and also in Outlook with ZCO
- All the signatures will sync, some users have different signatures with a "template emails"
- Outlook with ZCO permits import a .PST from other Outlook version or previous Backup
Identified Support/Known Issues
Known issues include the following bugs:
- Is not a Zimbra Issue, in a Microsoft Outlook 2013 EAS account, can't import PST files, only open it in Read-Only, if try to move some email from a opened .pst to the EAS folders, will obtain this error:
- [Bug 83727] - Contacts sub-folders and Global Address List do not sync when using an Outlook 2013 Exchange ActiveSync profile.
- [Bug 83736] - Read receipt notifications are not received when enabled when using an Outlook 2013 Exchange ActiveSync profile.
- [Bug 83747] - Categories and Tags are not displaying in the Zimbra Web Client when using Outlook 2013 Exchange ActiveSync.
- [Bug 83750] - Appointment and tasks display in HTML body format in Outlook 2013 Exchange ActiveSync.
- [Bug 83790] - Contact notes do not display in the Zimbra Web Client when using Outlook 2013 Exchange ActiveSync.
- [Bug 83793] - Task reminders in the Zimbra Web Client do not sync when using Outlook 2013 Exchange ActiveSync.
- [Bug 83801] - Numerous known issues when using Outlook 2013 Exchange ActiveSync.