- 1 Mobile & Phone Issues
- 1.1 Actual Mobile & Phone Topics Homepage
- 1.2 Help Me Understand the Mobility Options
- 1.3 Forum Support For Mobile Options
- 1.4 iPhone 2 Topics
- 1.5 BES Connector Issues
Mobile & Phone Issues
Actual Mobile & Phone Topics Homepage
Please see Ajcody-Mobile-Topics
Help Me Understand the Mobility Options
Let's break it down to three forms of access for mobile devices.
Mobile Web Client - http://www.zimbra.com/products/mobile_web_browser.html
A. Setups the web access to the Zimbra server to be viewable from a mobile device. This is accessing mail over the "web browser" on the mobile phone.
B. Built in - no license or additional software needed.
Zimbra Mobile - http://www.zimbra.com/products/mobile_smartphone.html
A. This allows two-way, over-the-air synchronization between the mobile device and Zimbra server.
A1. Think of this as "fat client" mail sync'ing on a mobile device
B. This page will describe that process in better detail - http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title=Moble_Device_Setup
C. License required
A. Blackberry "two-way, over-the-air synchronization" requires the use of a Blackberry server. We use a "connector" on the Blackberry server that allows BES device to use their "fat client" for mail sync'ing.
B. This option requires a separate server, a Windows box that will run the Blackberry server software.
C. Zimbra Mobile license required. Windows Blackberry server require with appropriate Blackberry licenses. Installation of Zimbra BlackberryConnector on the Blackberry server.
D. This is still in BETA
Zimbra Mobile/Blackberry requires the license file to enable it. This cost can be discussed with your sales contact. It's only the Blackberry configuration that requires a "software" installation - so to speak. Enabling "Zimbra Mobility/option 2 above" is a license requirement - not a software installation one - and then configuration for the user. "You enable Zimbra Mobile in the ZCS COS or for individual Accounts."
Forum Support For Mobile Options
The Mobility Forum has three sections.
iPhone 2 Topics
Here's three nice references about iPhone 2 support & features with Zimbra:
iPhone 2 Bugs
- Bug 29749 "iPhone 2.0 should be able to sync multiple calendars"
- Bug 29899 "iPhone 2.0 + Zimbra Mobile Sync can cause high CPU usage for large mailboxes"
- Bug 29902 "Address book photo doesn't sync via iPhone 2 ActiveSync"
- Bug 29903 "iPhone 2.0 Zimbra <-> ActiveSync Push Mail Does Not Put Phone into Standby Mode, Consuming Battery Quickly"
- Bug 29909 "iPhone 2.0: mailbox folders missing on device"
- Bug 30008 "some appointments missing on iPhone2.0 with zimbra mobile"
- Bug 30501 "Reply doesn't show in iPhone 2.0"
BES Connector Issues
One customer reported that "updating the firmware to 220.127.116.11 (as I'm at now) fixed the issue with the duplicate calendar".