Zimbra Mobile Installation and Setup for Android
From Zimbra :: Wiki
|- This is certified documentation and is protected for editing by Zimbra Employees & Moderators only.|
|This article applies to the following ZCS versions.|
Android-based smartphones natively sync email, contacts, and calendars to Zimbra accounts. The pre-requisites for configuring your mobile device include:
- The Zimbra email system used by your organization or service provider is a paid Network Edition license (ask your administrator if you are not sure)
- Your administrator has enabled mobility on your account
Assuming these requirements are met, you configure Zimbra just like you would a Microsoft Exchange account on your mobile device (this is the name used for any ActiveSync-based service. For more information about ActiveSync, go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ActiveSync). In order to complete this set up you need to know the following:
- Your email address
- Your email password
- Your organization's domain you normally type in the web browser (for example, mail.example.com).
- Does your organization require SSL access or not (for example, do you use http:// or https:// to view Zimbra webmail)
Note: Zimbra Mobile supports Android operating systems of release 2.1 and later.
Installation and Setup
1. On your Android Home screen, tap the Applications Button and then go to Settings icon.
2. Under the Accounts section tap on Add account.
Note: After you have performed the installation process and your Zimbra account is installed, it will display on this screen and you can edit the account from here.
3. Select Corporate Account from the other options.
4. Enter your Email address and Password to add an account:
- Email address. This is your company email address, for example email@example.com.
- Password. This is your Zimbra password, which is the same one used for the Zimbra Web Client.
Select Exchange from the type of account
Note: ZCS 7.x does not support auto-discovery. If you want to perform auto-discovery, you need to enter the server name on the Server Settings screen. (See the next step)
5. Enter server settings.
- Username. This is your company's email account. For example, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Password. This is your the password that you use for login in the Zimbra Web Client.
- Server. This is your Zimbra server. (This is either your mailbox server or proxy server. Ask your administrator for this information). Should be the same URL like in Zimbra Web Client, like mail.example.com.
- Use SSL. Your administrator can tell you more about SSL and if you need to use a secure connection. Typically if you access your Zimbra Web Client using a URL beginning with https:// then you want to check SSL. (For a simple explanation of SSL, see http://computer.howstuffworks.com/encryption4.htm).
- Port. In case that your Company are not using the standard 443, please specify here the correct port. (Ask your administrator for this information).
- Client Certificate. In case that your Company are using a Client Certificate, please click here and select it from the Android explorer. (Ask your administrator for this information).
6. Configure your email account options.
- Inbox checking frequency
- Data to synchronize
- Notify me when email arrives
- Sync contacts from this account
- Sync calendar form this account
- Sync email form this account
- Automatically download attachments when connected to Wi-Fi
7. Your account set up is complete. You can optionally give this account a name. Click Done.
8. After your account is completely set up, you can access your mail on the Android Home screen using the Email icon. Note: This is the default mail icon.
Once you have successfully set up your account, your mail folders, contacts and calendar(s) appear on your device. You can choose to edit either global or account-specific settings.
Edit Global Settings
Select General Settings. From this screen you can edit your Account Settings, enable Sync Calendar, and enable Sync Contacts. You can also remove your account from this screen.
To navigate to this screen, select Settings>Accounts or tap on your Zimbra account.
Edit Account Settings
If you want to edit your account settings, from the General Settings screen tap Account Settings and you can edit settings such as your name or signature.
Here link to a common set up flow for devices:
|Verified Against: Zimbra Mobile||Date Created: 08/01/2011|
|Article ID: http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title=Zimbra_Mobile_Installation_and_Setup_for_Android||Date Modified: 03/12/2015|