Pidgin and Zimbra
From Zimbra :: Wiki
|- This is archive documentation, which means it is not supported or valid for recent versions of Zimbra Collaboration.|
Zimbra 5.0 or higher supports the XMPP (Jabber) protocol for instant messaging. From Wikipedia: eXtensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP) (formerly known as Jabber) is an open sourced, XML-inspired protocol for near real time, extensible instant messaging (IM) and presence information (a.k.a. buddy lists).
XMPP compatible clients, such as Pidgin, can be used to connect to the Zimbra server. Users can then add buddies from their Zimbra Server into Pidgin without having a need to connect to a Third Party service such as AIM or MSN. This allows users to keep their home or personal instant messaging account separate from their work or professional account. Additionally, users can use the company/corporate/family Zimbra Server without signing up for another IM account from a Third Party Vendor. If you have an account on the Zimbra Server, you already have a XMPP/Chat account.
From Wikipedia: Pidgin (formerly named Gaim) is a multi-platform instant messaging client. The software supports many commonly used instant messaging protocols, allowing the user to log into various different services from one application.
- Once Pidgin has been downloaded and installed, run the application
- You will be presented with a Welcome screen. Click Add.
- Basic Tab: Protocol=XMPP
- Basic Tab: Username=Your Zimbra Server username. For Example, if I were email@example.com, it would only be ddemouser. DO NOT use a full e-mail address.
- Basic Tab: Domain=The portion of your e-mail address that comes after the @ sign. For example, if I were firstname.lastname@example.org, the domain would be testzimbra.com.
- Basic Tab: Resource=Home (Enter whatever you wish, this identifies your unique endpoint.)
- Basic Tab: Password=Your Zimbra Server Password.
- Basic Tab: Remember Password=User Preference.
- Basic Tab: Local Alias=The nickname for your account.
- Basic Tab: New Mail Notifications=Unchecked.
- Basic Tab: Use this buddy icon for this account=You have a choice of which avatar you wish others to see.
- Advanced Tab: Require SSL/TLS=Recommended, if you use https instead of http, check this box.
- Advanced Tab: Force old-style SSL=Unchecked.
- Advanced Tab: Allow Plain text authentication=Not recommended, but if your server uses http instead of https, then check this box.
- Advanced Tab: Connect Port=5222
- Advanced Tab: Connect Server=The FQDN or Reachable IP of the Zimbra server. If you do not know this, you should ask your system administrator. If running your Zimbra server behind a NAT, you can use the NATted IP Address only if it is usable within a network for which the Zimbra server can be seen. NOTE: Using an IP may result in future issues if your Zimbra server IP Address changes. Using the FQDN is the preferred best practice.
- Advanced Tab: Proxy Type=If you connect to your Zimbra server through a proxy, you should choose this. This DOES NOT apply to the Zimbra proxy, if installed.
- All Tabs: Create New Account on This Server=Unchecked.
- Click OK.
http://www.pidgin.im/ - Website for Pidgin
http://www.zimbra.com/ - Website for Zimbra Collaboration Suite
http://www.zimbra.com/forums - Zimbra forums for Community Support
http://www.xmpp.org/ - XMPP Standards Foundation
http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title=Adium_and_Zimbra - Adium and Zimbra
|Verified Against: ZCS 5.0.7_GA_2444 & Pidgen 2.4.1||Date Created: 6/6/2008|
|Article ID: http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title=Pidgin_and_Zimbra||Date Modified: 03/24/2015|