Zimbra Desktop 1.0
From Zimbra :: Wiki
Read This Before Installing Zimbra Desktop
The latest version of Zimbra Desktop is 1.0.4 (build 1833). Change history can be found here.
Please note that Zimbra Desktop is subject to Export Restrictions.
Please refer to Zimbra Desktop FAQ to find information ranging from how to use the software to how to troubleshoot and report issues.
At least 200MB free disk space is required to install the software. Additional disk space is required to download mailbox data.
At least 512MB free memory is required -- and 1GB or more is recommended -- to run Zimbra Desktop.
The computer must have network connectivity at account setup. Network connectivity is also required to synchronize mailboxes with servers.
This release supports the following 3 platforms:
- Windows XP SP2 and above
- Mac OS X (Intel) Tiger 10.4.11 or Leopard 10.5.5 and above
- Linux (x86) 2.6.x and above
NOTE: PowerPC based Mac OS is not supported.
Installation Instructions for First Time Users
- Download the installer for the operating system of your choice. Linux users must first change the permission of the downloaded installer to be executable before running it.
- Make sure the location where you install the software has enough disk space. If you plan to sync with large mailboxes, it is important to allocate enough space for all your mailbox data (the data will be saved under the folder where you install Zimbra Desktop).
- Note, you must have sufficient access rights to install to the specified installation folder.
- On Mac OS and Linux, do not run installer as the "root" user.
- Run the installation wizard and follow the step-by-step instructions.
After the successful installation of all files, the installer will start Zimbra Desktop.
Using the Software
At the end of the installation, the installer will launch Zimbra Desktop. The first step of using Zimbra Desktop is to set up one or more accounts. Zimbra Desktop supports the following account types:
- Zimbra Account – You must have an existing account from an employer or a service provider that runs Zimbra Collaboration Suites (ZCS). ZCS 5.0 servers or above are required.
- Yahoo! Mail Account – Including @yahoo.com, @ymail.com, @rocketmail.com, and non-US yahoo domains. NOTE: In previous versions we required Yahoo! Mail Plus. As of Beta3, this feature is now open to all free account users as well.
- Gmail Account – You MUST first enable IMAP access from Gmail website.
- Windows Live Account - You MUST first enable client access. This will only work with Microsoft Live Hotmail Plus accounts. Some free accounts that still support Outlook Express may also be used.
- AOL Mail Account
- Exchange IMAP Account - Your Exchange server must provide IMAP access. Only mail sync is supported.
- Other POP/IMAP Accounts – You MUST have complete settings information in order to set up POP/IMAP access. Your can obtain such information from your service provider.
You can also set up more than one of the same type of accounts. For example, if you have two Zimbra accounts or two Yahoo! Mail accounts, they can coexist without problems.
NOTE: You MUST have Internet access when setting up accounts, as Zimbra Desktop will need to verify your settings with your service providers.
You can either set up all your accounts first, or set up one first and add others later. Once your accounts are set up, click “Go to Zimbra Desktop” and start using the software. At any time when you want to add, update or remove accounts, simply click the “Account Setup” link to go back to Account Setup screen.
NOTE: With large mailboxes or slow network connections, initial sync could take many hours. During initial sync, you will be still able to read, compose, send and receive new email. However you may not find all your messages in search results until the end of initial sync. It is OK if your network connection is interrupted or your computer crashes during initial sync. Zimbra Desktop will continue from the last check point when it resumes.
Startup and Shutdown
You can launch the Zimbra Desktop with the Zimbra Desktop icons. On Windows, you’ll find the icons on the Desktop and in the Start Menu. On Mac OS, they are located on the Desktop and in the Applications folder. On Linux, they are located on the Desktop and in the folder where you install the software.
You can close the GUI client window any time. If you are in the middle of composing an email or have any unsaved changes, make sure to save them before closing the window.
Note that in addition to the GUI client, Zimbra Desktop also runs a background service responsible for synchronizing data with your remote accounts. The background service will continue to run after you close the client window. If you reboot your computer, the background service will automatically be started after the computer restarts. This ensures timely synchronization with all your remote accounts to keep your local data up to date.
Zimbra mailboxes will download all your mail, address book, appointments, tasks, documents and briefcase data. Currently there is no support for partial Zimbra mailbox sync. With IMAP mailboxes however, sync can be turned on or off on a per folder basis. By default only Inbox sync is turned on. Yahoo! Mail accounts and Gmail accounts are preconfigured with IMAP settings, and by default will sync Sent folder and Drafts folder as well.
A special note about Gmail. Gmail IMAP server lists all Gmail labels as folders. This includes both system labels such as “All Mail” and “Starred”, as well as user created labels. Because a single email can have multiple labels, as a result the same email can exist in multiple folders. To avoid downloading duplicate data, we ignore system label folders such as “All Mail” and “Starred”. However we can still sync user created folders, but sync is turned off for those folders by default.
When you are disconnected from network or a remote server becomes unavailable, you are in offline mode. You can be in offline mode with a particular mailbox if only that server is temporarily down. When in offline mode, any data that is already downloaded is accessible. New updates to your remote mailbox including new emails will not be received until you are reconnected with that server. You will be able to compose and send emails while offline, but the emails will stay in the Outbox folder and will not be delivered until after you reconnect to the server.
There are visual indicators, both in the multi-mailbox view and in the Accounts Setup screen, to show which accounts are offline. However, currently we only detect network status change at the next attempt to sync. If you have a mailbox setup to sync infrequently or manually, you will not see an immediate visual update of online/offline status. When you are offline, there’s no action to be taken. You can keep using the software as if it’s still connected to the network. When connectivity recovers, the software will retry and get your mailbox up to date again.
If the network connectivity is lost while data synchronization with a remote server is under way, the process will resume where it was interrupted when connectivity recovers. No data will be lost due to connectivity disruption.
For more information please refer to Zimbra Desktop FAQ.
1. If the GUI client appears to behave unexpectedly such as erratic displays, you may try closing and relaunching it.
2. Very rarely you’ll need to restart the Zimbra Desktop background service. To restart without rebooting the computer, follow these steps:
- On Windows if GUI client is running, right click on the tray icon and choose "Shutdown Service". Relaunch the GUI client will also relaunch the background service. Alternatively, use 'Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services' to stop and then start the Zimbra Desktop Service.
- On Mac OS X if GUI client is running, right click on the dock icon and choose "Shutdown Service". Relaunch the GUI client will also relaunch the background service. Alternatively, run Terminal and from command line cd into the install directory. Run the following two commands:
./zdesktop stop launchctl start com.zimbra.zdesktop
- On Linux, run Terminal and cd into the folder where you installed the software. Run the following commands at the command line:
./zdesktop stop ./zdesktop start
For more information please refer to Zimbra Desktop FAQ.
Source Code Information
Now available in the public perforce cache: Building_Zimbra_using_Perforce#Building_Zimbra_Desktop
Changes Since 1.0.3, build 1699
Changes Since 1.0.2, build 1652
Bug Number - Summary
- 39599 - GAL sync pegs cpu
- 40600 - Support for Snow Leopard (Mac OS 10.6)
Changes Since 1.0.1, build 1593
Bug Number - Summary
- 31450 - Mails moved in Zimbra desktop to local folders do not appear in Yahoo web mail
- 32204 - Desktop Client doesn't use configured persona address in from: field
- 33815 - Zimbra Desktop Client does not use default browser for one part hostnames
- 35585 - FR [Desktop] Add new account has beta info untranslated
- 35877 - allow setting up multiple accounts that share each other's folders
- 36946 - 'Open appointment' doesn't opens appt. if you are in different account in accodion view
- 37156 - 'Loading....' in the UI while cancel file upload from Mail tab
- 37412 - Support GAL sync pagination
- 37481 - GAL populated list doesn't shows account name until and unless user type towards aliase id
- 37523 - Unable to change email address
- 37979 - delivery failed - 'SendMessage request failed'
- 38088 - Zdesktop is not starting up after updating port during installation
- 38391 - Duplicate messages in yahoo account
- 38521 - IMAP synchronisation issues
- 38553 - NPE in calendar scheduling tab
Changes Since 1.0, build 1537
Bug Number - Summary
- 27622 - All appointment opens into read only mode if created from web client
- 27927 - Allow user to specify a different port during installation
- 28001 - Find location is missing within the desktop client.
- 31106 - folder sync conflict resolution
- 31998 - avoid generating token twice at yahoo account creation
- 32501 - UID FETCH of FLAGS INTERNALDATE on some messages will consistently timeout
- 33870 - zdesktop hangs on loading
- 34194 - attachment zero kilobyte
- 34503 - Need method to re-index mailbox on ZDC in case of corruption
- 34684 - offline : Mail remained in Outbox for long time while zdesktop creates offline GAL contacts
- 35012 - reply on-behalf-of from shared folder is broken
- 35068 - can't switch directories while editing a draft
- 35135 - google apps calendar
- 35179 - duplicate key value in a unique or primary key constraint or unique index
- 35387 - mailbox reset lock contention
- 35397 - user should be able to opt out auto-update during installation
- 35399 - Faster sync before proxied ops
- 35446 - allow accessing offline GAL when doing full GAL sync
- 35471 - Import button remains disabled
- 35472 - Error while configuring aol account
- 35685 - access to shared resources lost after mailbox moved to another server
- 35763 - Improved error handling for Yahoo Address Book synchronization
- 35958 - include aliases in GAL search / Auto completion
- 35982 - IllegalStateException killing jetty session timer threads
- 35991 - Preserve Zimbra-only contact fields when resetting YAB/GAB contacts
- 36102 - FileUploadServlet using a wrong upload size limit
- 36270 - Wrong reference of ZimbraDnD.xpi while bundling into ZDesktop
- 36283 - ZDC does not support 6.0 ZCS
- 36294 - Cannot create a mail with a alias from, main account email address override it
- 36360 - Select Addresses diaglog can't display GAL entries
- 36362 - empty contact entry causes sync to fail
- 36458 - sync failure for existing mountpoint account catches incorrect exception
- 36643 - Can not install with active directory account on Unix
- 36841 - Problem sharing folders just created on Zimbra Desktop
- 37016 - String concatenation in beta note string
- 37083 - failed to create gal sync account
- 37137 - RESOURCE_UNREACHABLE on server side NO_SUCH_BLOB
- 37142 - Failed to copy/move message from mountpoint to a newly created folder on desktop
- 37148 - duplicate notifications of folder creation cause bogus tags created
- 37172 - offline: message saved to wrong draft folder
- 37367 - access backend service by ip (127.0.0.1)
- 37510 - update.php has misspelled variable name
- 37537 - Shared briefcase is broken when talking to 6.0 backend
- 37684 - Fix Hotmail authentication error msgs
- 37686 - need to disable the send button on documents and briefcase for non-zcs account
- 37688 - Missing contacts in GAB sync
- 37689 - Pushed GAB contacts not displayed in GMail web interface
- 37690 - Import GAB auto-contacts into "Emailed Contacts" folder
- 37731 - Update setup page texts to be more user friendly
- 37932 - NPE during YAB sync following upgrade
- 37982 - Yahoo IMAP APPEND failure w/ LITERA*L+
- 38040 - HTML client broken in double-byte languages
- 38066 - tgz import issue
- 38213 - Fix contacts sync with ZCS 6.0
Changes Since 1.0 RC2, build 1513
Bug Number - Summary
- 35664 - Webpage in contact don't sync with Y! account
- 35715 - Disable share folder options for local folders (throws no such item exception)
- 35770 - RESOURCE_UNREACHABLE in calendar sync
- 35828 - yahoo address book sync bug
- 36111 - ParseException thrown for empty IMAP CAPABILITY response
- 36239 - local to remote msg zimbra sync does not preserve date
- 36268 - hotmail contact no longer available
1. If folder message list is displayed by conversations (threads), replying to a message in conversation sometimes causes the conversation to disappear from the folder list view. This is a UI display issue and clicking on the current folder will bring the conversation back to view. Bug 30994
2. Network connectivity changes are not detected immediately. Rather they are only detected on the next attempt to sync. For accounts that are synced infrequently or not automatically at all, visual status does not timely reflect current network connectivity. Bug 21178
3. On Windows Vista, Zimbra Desktop can not be installed under %PROGRAMFILES% (e.g. C:\Program Files). %PROGRAMFILES% by default is read-only. Since Zimbra Desktop does not yet have separate locations for programs files and data files, when installed under %PROGRAMFILES%, some write operations on data files would fail. The workaround is to install Zimbra Desktop at the default location (\Users\<user name>\AppData\...), or directories user has write permission on.
Contact Information and Support
Please use related Community Forums Desktop Section to post your questions and comments about Zimbra Desktop. Help for this this software application is provided only via the forums, unless you are syncing against Zimbra Collaboration Suite Network Edition; in which case please contact your system administrator, who can escalate any major issues directly to Zimbra if they have a valid support agreement in place.
|Verified Against: 1.0.x||Date Created: 3/23/2007|
|Article ID: http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title=Zimbra_Desktop_1.0||Date Modified: 03/6/2011|