Migrating from End of Life Platform to Supported Platform
From Zimbra :: Wiki
|- This is archive documentation, which means it is not supported or valid for recent versions of Zimbra Collaboration.|
|- This article is a Work in Progress, and may be unfinished or missing sections.|
|This article applies to the following ZCS versions.|
Often new ZCS releases introduce support for additional platforms and Linux distributions. Other platforms might be "End of Lifed" (EOL'ed), meaning that there will be no more ZCS releases for these platforms. This page describes what platforms were added, what platforms were EOL'ed, and how to move from an EOL'd platform to a platform that will be supported.
New and EOL'ed Platforms
7.0.x Supported Platform Information
See [System Requirements]
6.0.x New Platforms
Platforms that are new with 6.0.x include:
- SLES 11 (64) FOSS/NE
- Debian 5 (32/64) FOSS
- Fedora 11 (32/64) FOSS
5.0.x New Platforms
Platforms that are new with 5.0.x include:
- Fedora 7 FOSS
- Debian 4.0 FOSS
- SUSE Enterprise Linux 10 (SLES 10) FOSS and Network Edition
- OpenSUSE 10.2 FOSS
4.5.11 EOL Platforms
Both the new 5.0.x and the EOL'ed platforms will be released with 4.5.11. Unlike previous ZCS upgrades where you were able to go from any version to any other ZCS version, if you find yourself on a EOL'ed version you will need to first upgrade to 4.5.11 before going forward to 5.0.x.
Platforms that are EOL'ed with the 4.5.11 release include:
- Fedora 4
- Fedora 5
- Debian 3.1
- Mac OS X PPC
- OpenSUSE 10.0
- SUSE Enterprise Linux 9 (SLES 9)
Also, with 5.0.0 Network Edition support has been removed from OpenSUSE. That is, 4.5.x (currently 4.5.11) is the last OpenSUSE Network Edition release. We will continue support for SUSE Network Edition with SLES 10.
There are essentially three procedures:
- "DR" Get to 4.5.11 on the original system. Set up a second, new system that has ZCS 4.5.11 running on the new platform. Then take a full backup from the original system and restore it on to the new system. Then upgrade the new system to ZCS 5.0.x and decommission the original system.
- "Upgrade OS" Get to 4.5.11. Then upgrade the OS in place to the 5.0.x-supported platform. Then upgrade ZCS to 4.5.11 on the new platform. Then upgrade ZCS to 5.0.x in place.
- "FossDR" Get to 4.5.11 on the original system. Set up a second, new system that has ZCS 4.5.11 running on the new platform. Then do a cold backup using filesystem tools and restore on to the new system. Then upgrade the new system to ZCS 5.0.x and decommission the original system.
The procedure you will want to use depends on your migration path. The below notes spell out the migration path based on current 4.5.x platform. All procedures assume that the first step of the migration is to upgrade to 4.5.11 on the current platform.
|4.5.11 SLES9 Network or FOSS||5.0.x SLES10 Network or FOSS||Upgrade OS|
|4.5.11 OpenSUSE 10.0 FOSS||5.0.x OpenSUSE 10.2 FOSS||Upgrade OS|
|4.5.11 OpenSUSE 10.0 Network||5.0.x SLES10 Network||DR to 4.5.11 SLES 10 Network|
|4.5.11 MacOS X PPC Network||5.0.x Mac OS X x86 Network||DR to 4.5.11 Mac OS X x86 Network|
|4.5.11 Debian 3.2 FOSS||5.0.x Debian 4.0 FOSS||Upgrade OS|
|4.5.11 FC4 or FC5 FOSS||5.0.x Fedora 7 FOSS||Upgrade OS|
|4.5.11 MacOS X PPC FOSS||5.0.x MacOS X x86 FOSS||FossDR|
|4.5.11 Mandriva FOSS||5.0.x other platform||FossDR|
|Verified Against: unknown||Date Created: 1/22/2008|
|Article ID: http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title=Migrating_from_End_of_Life_Platform_to_Supported_Platform||Date Modified: 03/25/2015|